You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Syncing With Icloud (default sync items and notes etcetera)

Hi. When you start Icloud on your Mac Desktop for the first time (on that computer) will the default auto start settings be that it will sync everything immediately ? I am concerned not to overwrite data as I have to desktop Macs and have never tried syncing both macs at once with Icloud. In the App Notes on my oldest mac there is a mega lot of notes I like to keep.

So for example would it be possible only to sync contacts on that new mac (which currently have only 3 notes)?

Are there any logic so that the notes made on one Mac would be easier to spot on that Mac than the other? Or will it be a lot of notes from both Macs on both Macs?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.7

Posted on Sep 28, 2023 11:44 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2023 3:31 PM

The contacts should be created in Mac address book , under section All iCloud , select the contact ( use command and A keys ) , copy it ( use command and C keys ) , and paste ( use command and V keys ) to a group created .

Groups don't sync , this will stop syncing those particular contacts ( having three notes ) to the second Mac .

See the article Change settings in Notes on Mac – Apple Support

Enable the On My Mac account

Store notes on your computer using the On My Mac account.

Another article About accounts and folders in Notes on Mac - Apple Support 

• You can only move or copy locked notes between folders in your iCloud and On My Mac accounts (and you may need to unlock them to do so).

Right click on the note in iCloud section and move to " on my Mac " this will remove the iCloud notes and move to the folder in " on my Mac " , the other Mac that is signed in with same Apple ID and password on the same network will remove that particular note , apply in the same way for all other notes .

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 28, 2023 3:31 PM in response to Norwegian_Macfan68

The contacts should be created in Mac address book , under section All iCloud , select the contact ( use command and A keys ) , copy it ( use command and C keys ) , and paste ( use command and V keys ) to a group created .

Groups don't sync , this will stop syncing those particular contacts ( having three notes ) to the second Mac .

See the article Change settings in Notes on Mac – Apple Support

Enable the On My Mac account

Store notes on your computer using the On My Mac account.

Another article About accounts and folders in Notes on Mac - Apple Support 

• You can only move or copy locked notes between folders in your iCloud and On My Mac accounts (and you may need to unlock them to do so).

Right click on the note in iCloud section and move to " on my Mac " this will remove the iCloud notes and move to the folder in " on my Mac " , the other Mac that is signed in with same Apple ID and password on the same network will remove that particular note , apply in the same way for all other notes .

Oct 1, 2023 10:45 AM in response to Norwegian_Macfan68

The Mac should be upgraded , its optional to sync all items like desktops and documents , notes ....with iPhone and other devices .

Syncing will occur fast when devices are connected with high network speed , specially when connected with usb cable Intro to syncing your Mac and your devices - Apple Support

Sync content between your Mac and iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Syncing With Icloud (default sync items and notes etcetera)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.