You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Anti Virus Software

I have a MacBook Pro I bought in 2022.. Everything I have read states that I don't need any kind OF Antivirus software but this Norton Thing keeps popping up telling me I have 7 viruses on my computer. I have Malwarebytes and when I do a scan nothing shows up. I have never downloaded anything other than Mac Approved apps on this, and I was under the impression I couldn't get this kind of virus on my Mac. Is this Norton thing just some kind of gimmick to get me to purchase their product or do I really need some kind of antivirus software. I ask because I've been having a lot of issues with my Mac including it freezing, not responding to anything for long periods and me having to force close apps in order to get anything to work. What should I do to get it to stop freezing up there than doing the scans on Malwarebytes and what could be causing it if it's not a virus.

MacBook Pro (2021)

Posted on Sep 28, 2023 1:47 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2023 3:26 PM

I ask because I've been having a lot of issues with my Mac including it freezing, not responding to anything for long periods and me having to force close apps in order to get anything to work. ...

Please determine if the same problems occur in "Safe Mode": tUse safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support.

4 replies

Sep 28, 2023 3:53 PM in response to SonJayThOmas

A couple of points:

• No you do not need Anti-Virus and doing so will most likely cause more harm than good.
  • Norton Ads will pop up for anyone and happens more when visiting less legitimate sites. In this case it is the site that is making the ad look like a system message to trick you.
  • Another common Norton message comes up as a Notification when you have allowed a web site to send Notifications to you. These can be checked at Safari > Settings > Websites > Notifications. Start by denying all the all the websites that are set to Allow. If you do want a Notification from a specific website you can turn it back on after verifying that the Notifications have stopped and then be able to tell which one is giving you the fake notification. The same can be done in the Pop-Up Windows setting.

As for the slow response and freezing apps, I would recommend running the free version of EtreCheck and post the results here using the Additional Text option. EtreCheck will not change any files, but will provide a view of your System showing apps that are running on startup that could be slowing things down for you. EtreCheck is a safe app developed by a member of these forums and does not include any personal information in the report that you post. It will give the details needed for other users here to offer suggestions to improve the performance of your Mac.

Using EtreCheck

Anti Virus Software

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.