You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos app - People / People and Pets album - “confirm additional photos”

Since installing iOS 17 / 17.0.2 on iPad/ iPhone, the option “confirm additional photos” no longer comes up. I know there are more photos of people in those albums. Are there ways to “force” the photo identifier to run? Thanks for any help!

iPad Air, iPadOS 17

Posted on Sep 29, 2023 6:36 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 14, 2023 7:28 AM

this is not addressing the issue described - pre IOS 17, you could open a person's "People" (now "People & Pets") album in the Apple Photos App on iPad/iPhone and click the 3 dots in the top right hand corner of the screen (in the top banner showing the person's name), this then gave a menu which INCLUDED "Confirm additional photos". This option has now gone.

The option to confirm additional photos is still on my Mac (Monterey)

This was a very useful function on iPad/iPhone, particularly since naming people in APPLE PHOTOS on one Apple Device very often does NOT sync across devices using iCloud... can we have it back please

10 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 14, 2023 7:28 AM in response to genieen16

this is not addressing the issue described - pre IOS 17, you could open a person's "People" (now "People & Pets") album in the Apple Photos App on iPad/iPhone and click the 3 dots in the top right hand corner of the screen (in the top banner showing the person's name), this then gave a menu which INCLUDED "Confirm additional photos". This option has now gone.

The option to confirm additional photos is still on my Mac (Monterey)

This was a very useful function on iPad/iPhone, particularly since naming people in APPLE PHOTOS on one Apple Device very often does NOT sync across devices using iCloud... can we have it back please

Dec 13, 2023 11:10 AM in response to ramona105

Theere is no way to force the face detection and face recognition to run. Photos will scan any new photos for faces, once it has time and the opportunity. You can help Photos by removing any obstacles, that might prevent it from scanning more photos.

• Keep the iPhone connected to to a power supply and to WI-Fi over night.
  • If your photos are syncing with iCloud, make sure your iCloud Photos Library is available - there must not be a problem with your AppleID or your iCloud storage. And you need free local storage as well, so Photos has free storage to download the originals to scan them.
  • Check your library for items that cannot be processed by photos. A single bad apple could be blocking the background processes fro analysing more photos or videos.Are there any grey or white thumbnails in your library? Videos that cannot be edited? Photos shared with you, that you cannot edit?

Jan 12, 2024 1:59 AM in response to ramona105

🚨 AHHHHH, I figured it out!!!! 🚨

Here’s the step by step at least as of iOS 17.2.1

1. Go to albums>people &pets> select person or pet you’d like to review
  2. Select “…” in top right corner
  3. Select “review photos”
  4. Review allllll of the photos and once at the bottom select “review more photos”
  5. If you have a big photo library like me, be patient
  6. Confirm photos and then select “done”
  7. !!!!!!

wow I trulyyyy cannot believe I actually had something helpful to add to one of these forums but enjoy yall

xx

Dec 13, 2023 9:47 AM in response to ramona105

Ooops! Replied to myself!! :( I thought I did explain it in detail - the option “confirm additional photos” no longer comes up. This was helpful because I know there are more photos of people - AND I frequently needed to verify/confirm some potentially identified as the wrong person. Are there ways to “force” the photo identifier to run? I reviewed the link you provided and found nothing I didn't already know. Thank you, mona

Oct 1, 2023 4:39 PM in response to ramona105

Hello ramona105,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

It looks like you're wanting support with your iPhone's and iPad's Photos app. Check out this link to review more information on how the Photos app recognizes and sorts people, dogs, and cats in your Photos app and sorts them in the People & Pets album: Identify people and pets in Photos on iPhone.

If this is not the feature you're addressing, please explain in more detail what exactly is going on and what apps are in use when you have the problem. The more information that is posted, the better for others in the Apple Support Communities so they can join in and offer support.

Best wishes.

Dec 13, 2023 9:45 AM in response to genieen16

I thought I did explain it in detail - the option “confirm additional photos” no longer comes up. This was helpful because I know there are more photos of people - AND I frequently needed to verify/confirm some potentially identified as the wrong person. Are there ways to “force” the photo identifier to run? I reviewed the link you provided and found nothing I didn't already know. Thank you, mona

Photos app - People / People and Pets album - “confirm additional photos”

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.