You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

system preferences won't close

deleting an old user from my Mac and it has been taking days and because of that I am unable to log out/shutdown or restart my laptop because system preferences won't close due to the deleting of an old account of mine.

MacBook Pro (2021)

Posted on Oct 2, 2023 6:32 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 2, 2023 10:00 AM

Blu3_eclipse wrote:

deleting an old user from my Mac and it has been taking days and because of that I am unable to log out/shutdown or restart my laptop because system preferences won't close due to the deleting of an old account of mine.

Verify you are maintaining an admin account for your current user account.

>System Settings>Users&Groups

You can always force quit a shutdown by holding the power button/TouchID for ~6-10 sec.

Force Shut down your Mac.

Log out, sleep, wake, restart or shut down your Mac

Shut down or restart your Mac - Apple Support

then reboot as normal and compare your results...

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 2, 2023 10:00 AM in response to Blu3_eclipse

Blu3_eclipse wrote:

Verify you are maintaining an admin account for your current user account.

>System Settings>Users&Groups

You can always force quit a shutdown by holding the power button/TouchID for ~6-10 sec.

Force Shut down your Mac.

Log out, sleep, wake, restart or shut down your Mac

Shut down or restart your Mac - Apple Support

then reboot as normal and compare your results...

system preferences won't close

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.