You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

compressor slower than handbrake by a lot with my project?

So I have tried compressor and it seems with reasonably the same settings as handbrake it is a lot slower and will take 50 minutes to 1hour for compressor to complete while handbrake seems to say 20-23 minutes to complete their compression?

Sorry for all the images just want to see what settings ima getting wrong etc. Thanks for all the help! :)

Mac Pro (2023)

Posted on Oct 3, 2023 12:10 PM

Similar questions

36 replies

Oct 3, 2023 10:30 PM in response to TGGE

You showed us the settings but apparently did not say anything about either the source video. You also do not seem to have actually run this through HandBrake, just relying on an estimate, if I understood correctly. Is that right?

The HandBrake images are not from the same computer, so there also that extra variable to consider. You didn’t say what that pc was.

You should run some “fair” tests by compressing the same videos in the same mac - HandBrake runs on the Mac and is free to download.

Actually I am curious as to how HandBrake on the mac compares to the pc, too.

Any compression where the built-in dedicated video engine of your Mac can be used is likely to be much faster in Compressor. If done on the CPU and GPU it may be close.

Oct 5, 2023 2:56 AM in response to TGGE

Here are two tests done on M1 Max Mac Studio

1) 15 minute 1080p, 25fps video compressed to 1080p 8bit HEVC 1000Kbps

Compressor: 1 minute 8 seconds - using around 60% CPU and 30%GPU (*)

HandBrake: around 2 minutes (sorry I did not time it exactly) - using 900%+ CPU and no GPU (*)

2) 15 minute 1080p, 60fps video compressed to 1080p 8bit HEVC 1000Kbps

Compressor: 2 minutes 48 seconds - using 140%+ CPU and 67%GPU (*)

HandBrake: 4 minutes 25 seconds - using around 900% CPU and no GPU (*)

(*) As reported by Activity Monitor

Oct 3, 2023 11:59 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

I will give it a go as well. I love apple since I have the m1 Mac as well. I am still trying to figure out why the difference in time is so vast above was just me saying if this is the case I will be disappoint for obvious reasons. When I get home I will do what you suggested with same settings etc and see what the results are.

Oct 4, 2023 6:00 AM in response to TGGE

What is the frame size of your video? I am thinking that if it is not a standard one like 1080p (1920x1080) or 4K (3840x2160) or something, it may bod down in the CPU.

I just did a quick test exporting a two and a half minute video (4K ProRes) to 4K HEVC and it took only 42 seconds, never going above 60% of a core in CPU and about 30% GPU, according to Activity Monitor.

I will try a different pixel size and aspect ratio to compare, but only later, as I have to leave for a few hours.

EDIT: The test above was on an M1 Max Mac Studio.

Oct 4, 2023 9:38 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

the videos frame size is 1920 by 1080. The total size is 14.2GB. the video settings are:

Frame rate is 60 , length is 2hours and 25 minutes, total bitrate is 13989kbps.

Audio settings are:

Bitrate 535kbps, channel 2 stereo, audio sample rate 48,000kHz

Th device I am using is MacBook Pro M2 Max 16-inch 2023 memory 86G

edited to the right file my bad. but handbrake is still doing this in the 23 minute mark. am going to download handbrake on my MacBook now.

compressor slower than handbrake by a lot with my project?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.