You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I remove the Red Dot that appears only on Active Phone Screen

How to remove the Red Dot above connection status bar, top right? It appears only on the Active Phone Screen, while using the phone.

iPhone 12, iOS 16.6.1

thank you 

iPhone 12, iOS 16

Posted on Oct 3, 2023 3:05 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 3, 2023 7:18 PM

There's nothing to decide. The dot will appear on phone calls as it was engineered to do. Any app which uses the microphone, and you'll see the dot. Make a facetime call, you'll see the dot. Make a phone call, you'll see the dot. Record video, you'll see the dot. And anytime the camera is being used, you'll see a green dot. This is actually a benefit. If you see the dot and you're not using the camera or in any way using the microphone, you will not see the dot.

14 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 3, 2023 7:18 PM in response to f150georgia

There's nothing to decide. The dot will appear on phone calls as it was engineered to do. Any app which uses the microphone, and you'll see the dot. Make a facetime call, you'll see the dot. Make a phone call, you'll see the dot. Record video, you'll see the dot. And anytime the camera is being used, you'll see a green dot. This is actually a benefit. If you see the dot and you're not using the camera or in any way using the microphone, you will not see the dot.

Oct 3, 2023 8:01 PM in response to f150georgia

f150georgia wrote:

Oh my!!! Thanks!
There’s talk about users being hacked, third party access & so on.

Yeah, and the entire ‘net is always and entirely filled with truth. Advertisers never lie. Websites and listicles and AI-generated content and teasers and the rest of the dreck definitely aren’t created for ad revenue, or to sell rubbish apps, of course.

I’ve checked & had my settings as secure as possible, so I was in panic mode.

Advertising is designed to create strong emotions. That helps cloud thinking, and helps lead you into doing something that the advertiser wants.

Some reading from Apple on a few of the common scams and schemes:

Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

And how to configure your environment and your privacy to your preferences:

Personal Safety User Guide - Apple Support (there’s a PDF of that at the bottom.)

While iPhone hacks are possible, those hacks are very rare and very targeted, based on available information. If you are an investigative journalist, political dissident, senior in government or provate industry, with access to financial data or great wealth, or with access to sensitive or classified information, the calculation here might shift. For the rest of us, hacks just aren’t a thing. We ourselves get targeted. Phished. Scammed. Or our passwords or passcodes are compromised. Not our devices.

Oct 3, 2023 7:05 PM in response to f150georgia

No one seems to have told you yet, that you simply cannot remove the dot. It may appear red on your iPhone, possibly due to the wallpaper you use. It will only appear when the microphone is in use, and you even said it appears when you are on an active phone call, which uses the microphone. People you speak with would be completely unable to hear you if the microphone wasn't being used. So, you cannot remove the dot at all.

Oct 3, 2023 7:23 PM in response to stedman1

Hi.

It appears only during a phone call.

Control Center: no apps using Mic or Camera

I just checked Camera:

the green dot appears when I access the camera.

Now I’m wondering if the Red (?) is normal while using the phone.

About 1 Mo ago I updated my IOS to current version. Had not noticed it before.

I attached a screenshot to above reply.

I’m new using this, so I’m a little clumsy.

thank you

How can I remove the Red Dot that appears only on Active Phone Screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.