You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keeping my music on my iPod

This is gonna sound silly but, hear me out. I love the process of downloading music from a website, inserting lyrics, and numbering the songs in order all by myself. I just love that process more than just using a streaming service. I don't know why but that is so much fun.

I have a MacBook Air (2020 M1) and I download music from a website. I download one at a time and then I create a folder naming the album and then I drag that folder into the music app. And then I insert the lyrics, change the genre for its particular one, number the songs in order, and all that stuff. Then I plug in my iPod touch 5th gen, go to the finder -> iPod -> music, and then I click on sync entire music library and then it's all done.

I have 2 questions regarding this.

1. Let's say one day if I were to sync an album but I don't have my Mac with me. For instance, I'm at a friend's house and he has a Windows desktop. How would I sync that album? All my current songs on my iPod are gonna lose right? How do I sync that album without deleting my entire music library from my iPod?
  2. One day my Mac's gonna be out of storage for sure. I download at least 5 albums a day so it's gonna take up my storage really fast. What do I do then? I don't wanna delete any of my songs. If I were to lose even one of my songs, I couldn't sleep. How do I sync new albums to my iPod?

This is probably the stupidest question the Apple community will ever see but, help me. PLEASE

iPod, iOS 9

Posted on Oct 4, 2023 1:15 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 5, 2023 3:04 AM

1. An iPod can only be synchronised with one library at a time, so if you attempted to connect it to your friend's computer it will want to delete everything that is already on it. To obtain that album, buy your own copy. (Copying it from your friend is copyright theft - it's illegal and it deprives the artist of a means of putting food on his or her table)
  2. Put your library onto an external drive that is large enough to hold all your music. Once you do that, you also need to make a backup for the time when the drive fails

chamathm1 wrote:

This is probably the stupidest question the Apple community will ever see ...

No, not even close...

In fact, your question wouldn't even make the shortlist.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 5, 2023 3:04 AM in response to chamathm1

1. An iPod can only be synchronised with one library at a time, so if you attempted to connect it to your friend's computer it will want to delete everything that is already on it. To obtain that album, buy your own copy. (Copying it from your friend is copyright theft - it's illegal and it deprives the artist of a means of putting food on his or her table)
  2. Put your library onto an external drive that is large enough to hold all your music. Once you do that, you also need to make a backup for the time when the drive fails

chamathm1 wrote:

This is probably the stupidest question the Apple community will ever see ...

No, not even close...

In fact, your question wouldn't even make the shortlist.

Keeping my music on my iPod

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.