You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I disable the new Auto Delete Old Conversations?

I accidentally hit the check box to Auto Delete old conversations in iPhone Storage.

But when I check Messages - it is still on Forever not on 1 year.

I do not want my messages to delete, should I restore my phone from a backup.

iPhone 13

Posted on Oct 5, 2023 7:36 PM

1 reply

Oct 7, 2023 12:14 PM in response to alastairf13

Hi alastairf13,

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities! We would recommend the guidance below that can help:

Delete messages and attachments on iPhone

Automatically delete old messages
You can delete messages and attachments that are older than 30 days or a year old, on an ongoing basis.
1. Go to Settings  > Messages.
2. Scroll down, tap Keep Messages (below Message History), then choose an option.
Important: If you choose an option other than Forever, your conversations (including all attachments) are automatically removed after the specified time period elapses.
If you use Messages in iCloud, deleting a message or conversation on your iPhone deletes it from all your devices where Messages in iCloud is on. See Keep your messages up to date with iCloud in the iCloud User Guide.
Deleting messages only affects your iPhone and other devices. You can’t delete messages, attachments, and conversations for anyone else.

Hope this helps!

Have a great day.

How do I disable the new Auto Delete Old Conversations?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.