You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Custom Email Domains

Recently I upgraded to the iCloud+ 2TB plan. With it, I can use the 2 custom email domains that I have. I used to host these via Zoho, but I recently moved them to iCloud. I have no issues using these accounts on my iPhone, iPad, MacBook, etc., but I can not figure out how to setup Thunderbird on my Windows 11 system to access my iCloud email now. I went into my account at icloud.com and generated an App-Specific password for thunderbird, but when I try to setup the account in Thunderbird, it refuses to authenticate. Here are the settings that I am trying to use:

INCOMING SERVER

Protocol: IMAP

Hostname: imap.mail.me.com

Port: 993

Connection Security: SSL/TLS

Authentication method: Normal password

Username: The username I use to log into icloud.com

Password: App-Specific password generated at icloud.com

OUTGOING SERVER

Hostname: smtp.mail.me.com

Port: 587

Connection security: STARTTLS

Authentication method: Normal password

Username: The username I use to log into icloud.com

Password: App-Specific password generated at icloud.com

Whenever I try to connect with these settings, I keep getting this error: Unable to log in at server. Probably wrong configuration, username, or password.

MacBook Pro (M2 Pro, 2023)

Posted on Oct 7, 2023 9:35 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2023 5:37 PM

Hi irishjd,

The article Set up iCloud Mail, Contacts, and Calendar in Outlook on your Windows computer outlines info for setting up iCloud email on a PC. Note also the linked support page If you can’t add iCloud Mail, Contacts, or Calendars to Outlook for troubleshooting steps.

For other email clients, iCloud Mail server settings for other email client apps offers the following:

"IMAP information for the incoming iCloud Mail server

• Server name: imap.mail.me.com
  • SSL Required: Yes
    • If you see an error message when using SSL, try using TLS instead.
  • Port: 993
  • Username: this is usually the name of your iCloud Mail email address (e.g. johnappleseed, not johnappleseed@icloud.com). If your email client app can't connect to iCloud Mail using just the name of your email address, try using the full address.
  • Password: generate an app-specific password.

SMTP information for the outgoing iCloud Mail server

• Server name: smtp.mail.me.com
    • If you see an error message when using SSL, try using TLS or STARTTLS instead.
  • Port: 587
  • SMTP Authentication Required: Yes
  • Username: your full iCloud Mail email address (e.g. johnappleseed@icloud.com, not johnappleseed)
  • Password: use the app-specific password that you generated when you set up the incoming mail server."(emphasis added)

Regards.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 8, 2023 5:37 PM in response to irishjd

Hi irishjd,

The article Set up iCloud Mail, Contacts, and Calendar in Outlook on your Windows computer outlines info for setting up iCloud email on a PC. Note also the linked support page If you can’t add iCloud Mail, Contacts, or Calendars to Outlook for troubleshooting steps.

For other email clients, iCloud Mail server settings for other email client apps offers the following:

"IMAP information for the incoming iCloud Mail server

• Server name: imap.mail.me.com
    • If you see an error message when using SSL, try using TLS instead.
  • Port: 993
  • Username: this is usually the name of your iCloud Mail email address (e.g. johnappleseed, not johnappleseed@icloud.com). If your email client app can't connect to iCloud Mail using just the name of your email address, try using the full address.
  • Password: generate an app-specific password.

SMTP information for the outgoing iCloud Mail server

• Server name: smtp.mail.me.com
    • If you see an error message when using SSL, try using TLS or STARTTLS instead.
  • Port: 587
  • SMTP Authentication Required: Yes
  • Username: your full iCloud Mail email address (e.g. johnappleseed@icloud.com, not johnappleseed)
  • Password: use the app-specific password that you generated when you set up the incoming mail server."(emphasis added)

Regards.

Custom Email Domains

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.