You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple photos keeps removing names

My wife is extremely diligent at going through her photos and putting names on them. Yet she frequently finds that when she comes back to that photo a week or two later she has to redo the name. Other metadata seems to stay but the names disappear. The same seems to happen whether she uses her phone or her Mac. Any ideas as to how to stop this?

Posted on Oct 8, 2023 7:46 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2023 10:44 AM

The faces names can vanish for several reasons:

• After a system upgrade the algorithm for the face detection may have been updated and Photos will have to scan again for faces. then some faces may vanish, if the improved algorithm does not detect the previously detected face again or is is finding it in a slightly moved location.
  • The faces may vanish, after we add adjustments to a photo - crop it or retouch it. I am waiting with adding faces names until I have done most of the editing.
  • Faces may vanish, if there is a conflict between named faces synced with iCloud from a different device. I am adding all names only on my newest Mac and let them sync with iCloud to all all other devices, to avoid inconsistencies.

Because named faces may vanish I am trying to save all names by adding the name of the people also as a keyword to a photo. The keywords are much more stable and I can use then to check with smart albums for missing names. See: How to use Keywords to Back Up the Named Faces in Photos and Improve the Search for People … - Apple Community

as the

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 8, 2023 10:44 AM in response to kdevans

The faces names can vanish for several reasons:

• After a system upgrade the algorithm for the face detection may have been updated and Photos will have to scan again for faces. then some faces may vanish, if the improved algorithm does not detect the previously detected face again or is is finding it in a slightly moved location.
  • The faces may vanish, after we add adjustments to a photo - crop it or retouch it. I am waiting with adding faces names until I have done most of the editing.
  • Faces may vanish, if there is a conflict between named faces synced with iCloud from a different device. I am adding all names only on my newest Mac and let them sync with iCloud to all all other devices, to avoid inconsistencies.

Because named faces may vanish I am trying to save all names by adding the name of the people also as a keyword to a photo. The keywords are much more stable and I can use then to check with smart albums for missing names. See: How to use Keywords to Back Up the Named Faces in Photos and Improve the Search for People … - Apple Community

as the

Oct 8, 2023 9:44 AM in response to kdevans

Please read the following user tip and restate your question/problem in detail

Writing an Effective Apple Support Communities Question - Apple Community

What Photos version is she using?

Where is the library located? If on an external drive what kind is it and how is it formatted?

Where is she entering the names: via Keywords, in the Title field or the Caption field?

Oct 8, 2023 11:11 AM in response to kdevans

Léonie's reply reminded me of what she taught me as a backup to "faces".

1 - periodically I go into the People section of my library and click on each person.

2 - if there's an "additional photos for review" appearing I click on it and review the additional photos.

3 - when done reviewing I click on the Show More link to bring up all of the photos with that person in it.

4 - I do a ⌘+A (select all) and bring up the Keyword window (⌘+K). I add that person's name to the keywords and apply it to all of the selected photos as a batch.

I do this for each person. Since keywords don't have an algorithm that is changed it's a great backup for faces. Create a Smart Album with the criteria "Keyword is xxxxx" and you have an album of all the photos with that person in them.

If you want to find all of the photos with xxxxx and yyyyy in them create a smart album like this:

This can be good insurance against the missing faces in People.

Oct 8, 2023 10:21 AM in response to kdevans

As per the request from Old Toad. Her iPhone is a 14 with the IOS up to date and the Mac is the latest Mac mini running the last version of Ventura. The photos library is on the iCloud with a copy automatically downloaded to the Mac mini hard drive. This irritating behaviour has been continuous through many iterations of iOS and MacOS , was first observed on her old iMac which we replaced last year

Names are being added using the standard Apple names functionality on photos. Other metadata is unaffected so my presumption is that this is a byproduct of Apple’s auto face recognition process

Apple photos keeps removing names

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.