You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recovering Deleted Excel Data

Okay, I have a MacBook, and I’m trying to recover data from an excel spreadsheet that I have since deleted and then clicked “Save.” I did not overwrite the data on that sheet, but data on other sheets within the workbook was altered and saved, and I’ve made duplicates of this workbook multiple times using “Save As” to give them different names. What I’m trying to do on the original is recover the information on that particular sheet of the workbook before it was deleted.

I have tried “Browse Previous Versions” but it is greyed out. I tried using the OneDrive but this excel workbook was saved locally. And I’ve tried using Time Machine but for some reason it won’t go back any earlier than the day AFTER the data was deleted.

Is there any way at all to recover this data? It’s very important information.

Posted on Oct 11, 2023 6:07 AM

3 replies

Oct 11, 2023 6:48 AM in response to TheKamikazeCam

MS Office apps have an autosave/backup feature; is it turned on? If so you may have that to rely on.

Deleted can mean different things ... have you check your Trash? If it's there it can be "put back".

You may need to rely on your backups if the trash has been emptied and autosave is not active. Time Machine backs up automatically every hour. But if you don't use the auto feature, you're backups are no later than the last time you did a manual backup. Actually that true regardless.

Is the data by chance in iCloud? If you use that feature, depending on exactly what you did in the delete, the data may still be there.

I haven't used OneDrive in a long time. Can you check the website for the data? I don't recall exactly how OD works, just that I prefer iCloud Drive.

Search your drive with Spotlight. If you're unfamiliar with "save as" you may have saved it to an unknown location.

Recovering Deleted Excel Data

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.