You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am trying to erase an older MacBook Pro with Intel Core Duo and OS 10.4. I've tried every combination of key presses during start-up without ever getting to Recovery mode. I don't know what to do next to get it erased. Help??!

I've exhausted all the instructions on the Apple site!

iMac (2017 – 2020)

Posted on Oct 11, 2023 8:11 PM

2 replies

Oct 11, 2023 8:31 PM in response to rameeure202

I believe that Mac OS X version 10.4 Tiger is too old to have the advantage of the Recovery boot options. I think that became available with Mac OS X 10.7 Lion.

Ideally, you should use the grey label Mac OS X install CD/DVD discs that the machine shipped with. You would boot from that and then erase the internal hdd and reinstall the Mac OS X version that the machine shipped with.

If you no longer have the original install CD/DVDs I think the best you can do is use System Preferences > Users & Groups to create a new user account with admin privileges. Then log into that new, empty account and use, again, Sys Prefs > Users & Groups to delete all of the other user accounts.

Finally, use Disk Utility to Secure Erase any free/empty space on the internal hdd. Use a multiple-pass option that will write zeros to the empty space.

I think this is right, but it's been a long time since I played with OS X versions of that era.

I am trying to erase an older MacBook Pro with Intel Core Duo and OS 10.4. I've tried every combination of key presses during start-up without ever getting to Recovery mode. I don't know what to do next to get it erased. Help??!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.