You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stuck on 4.5.4 – video output is black on later versions

Hello there,

I am currently stuck on version 4.5.4 of Apple Compressor. Every later version I have tried to use leads to the same problem: compressed files have audio, but video results in either a full black or green screen. Even before exporting a file, the right portion of the preview window (what would be called "Output" in the Source/Output display) is black.

My workflow is pretty simple. I record videos using my iPhone and either Filmic Pro or (more recently) the Blackmagic Camera App. These are vertical, 1080p videos recorded using H.264 and either the front or the back camera (both lead to the same black output). I import them via AirDrop, and then process them using Compressor.

I have tried everything I could: resetting preferences, deleting the Compressor folder under Application Support, disabling GPU – you name it. And I'm just sad that I can't use Watch Folders... 😕

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance! All the best,

Gustavo

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Oct 13, 2023 4:37 PM

Similar questions

7 replies

Feb 10, 2024 1:28 PM in response to prof_gus

First problem, your system drive is ridiculously full. 19G available. You need a minimum of 15% or 20% available on the drives, especially the system. There’s zero room for caching.

you have Chrome installed with the keystone daemons, which are effectively malware. They all need to be deleted.

You’re running MalwareBytes. Hopefully not while the system is being used. It should not run continuously as it will interfere with processes.

You seem to have a lot of ancient software that’s probably been carried over from older OSs. Might be time for a clean install and rebuild.

Feb 10, 2024 1:44 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Hello again,

Unless Finder is wrong, I have 80GB+ available on the primary SSD (500GB) and 520GB+ available on the external SSD (1TB). So I find it surprising that it EtreCheck would show 19GB.

Anyway, thank you for the observations, although I am still not sure about the connection they may have with the Compressor issue I'm facing. Unfortunately, dismissing Chrome and doing a clean install/rebuild are not options I can consider, though.

Best regards,

Gustavo

Stuck on 4.5.4 – video output is black on later versions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.