You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos keeps losing people's names and name input is glitchy

On both my 2012-MacBook Pro and my new M2 MacBook Air, Photos keeps repeatedly losing hundreds of people's names within photos, often some within minutes of re-inputting the names. Very frustrating, esp. knowing that this happens with every upgrade (and in-between). Also, I've always found inputting names to people in photos to be very glitchy (e.g., circle disappears when I click on it, photo freezes). I keep expecting Apple to fix this with each update/grade; but it never does. I have 6000+ pix. Is there a fix? Is there a program I can migrate to (without having to re-input all the names) that I can buy (not the cloud)? Thx.

MacBook Air, macOS 13.3

Posted on Oct 15, 2023 3:57 PM

Similar questions

6 replies

Oct 16, 2023 1:56 PM in response to Lloyd Ite

Hello Lloyd Ite,

You likely have different operating systems on these Macs. We would begin by getting them up to date for the latest fixes: Update macOS on Mac (The latest Ventura version is 13.6 according to: What's new in the updates for macOS Ventura)

Are you manually entering the names or identifying photos with existing names? Make sure you are adding names and related photos with these steps: Find and identify photos of people in Photos on Mac

To isolate this further, are you using iCloud Photos between these Macs? Using the same Apple ID? Tell us more, so we're on the same page.

Hoping to hear back.

Take care.

Oct 17, 2023 6:12 PM in response to destiny241

Thanks, destiny241.

I forgot to mention that I also have a M2 MacMini (as well as a M2 MB Air) and that I migrated the mid-2012 MBP to both of these M2 computers. I'm interested in maintaining/updating my photo library on the M2 MBAir, though it'd be nice to keep the MacMini current, too. I don't work between the three computers.

The mid-2012 MBP won't update beyond 3 upgrades ago (I forget what it is). It's updated as much as it can be. The OSes of thetwo new M2s are current. But the Photo problems are the same on the two new computers as on the old computer.

I manually input the people's names. I've never looked into the 'People' album in Photos. I'll check it out.

I don't use iCloud or the Cloud otherwise. (So, I'm interested in Mylio.) I have only one Apple ID. I'm a rudimentary user of computers generally.

I hope this helps. Thanks!

Oct 17, 2023 7:23 PM in response to Lloyd Ite

Thanks for the reply back with additional information, Lloyd Ite.

When you mention that you normally manually input people's names into Photos, are you using these steps from our linked guide?

Manually identify and name people in a photo
Some photos may contain people who are not automatically named. You can name them manually.
1. In the Photos app  on your Mac, double-click a photo to open it.
2. Do one of the following:
- Choose View > Show Face Names. Click the name (or click “unnamed”) under a face, type a name, then press Return (or choose a name that appears as you type).
- Click the Info button  in the toolbar. Click the Add button , drag the circle to position it over the face if necessary, click the Name field, type a name, then press Return.
- You can click the Add button  multiple times to identify multiple faces in a photo. To remove a name that you added to a face, click the Remove button  on the person.

We're also interested to hear what you see when you look at your People album. We look forward to hearing back from you.

Best regards.

Oct 18, 2023 10:39 AM in response to Soosie_J215

Thanks, Soosie_J215.

Yes, I use all those those steps. I estimate that, more than half the times, they are problematic. Very often, when I click on the 'name' field, the field disappears; only after numerous attempts does it stay put so that I can type in a name. Also, frequently, I can't move the circle to anywhere near the face (especially after I crop the photo; it seems that the circle wants to stay where it was before cropping). And after (sometimes minutes, sometimes days) I input the name and move on to another photo, the name disappears; I've input the names into the same photos many times. I'm never confident that any names I input will remain there. Aggravating!

In the People album, I have 1375 faces identified. They are supposed to be in alphabetical order; but a few are not and I can't see why. Also, more than half of the boxes have no photos; they have just the people's names. When I close and open the album, including after being closed overnight, a different number of boxes, though hundreds, have no photos. Right now, ALL boxes have no photos! Yet, a few minutes ago, for a few seconds, all photos were shown.

Remember this is happening on my M2 MBAir (with 8GB memory) and running Ventura 13.4.1. I'm afraid to upgrade to the next OS for fear of having to start again to rename oft-renamed face names. Thousands of name fields are blank, despite having re-input the names of many of them numerous times. I've never managed to re-input all of the names, because while I'm doing that, ones I have just re-input have again disappeared.

Thanks for any help you can provide. I will likely buy Mylio which, though simple, is way beyond my simple needs. iPhotos and Photos have always been a drag for me this way. Nice idea poorly executed.

Photos keeps losing people's names and name input is glitchy

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.