You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Touch bar not working with Microsoft Word or other softwares

I have a Macbook Pro M1 chip (2020). I always use Microsoft Word for school, and Word tools like font, colors, formatting, etc would appear on my touchbar making it super easy to change colors or highlight or use bullet points. It randomly stopped appearing, and I tried restarting my computer & updating to the new software. Nothing is working. My touchbar now only works with volume and brightness, but it's no longer adaptable to whatever app I use or site I'm on.

please help!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 14.0

Posted on Oct 15, 2023 7:41 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 15, 2023 7:54 PM

freepalestine23 Said:

"Touch bar not working with Microsoft Word or other softwares"

-------

Troubleshooting a Touch Bar in Apps:

A. Try Safe Mode:

While in Safe Mode, try using this browser. In Safe Mode, login items do not run, and corrupt system files(i.e. caches) are intentionally reset as a way to fix issues.

1. Boot: in to Safe Mode: [Hold Down: shift key upon boot].
  2. Log in: as same user
  3. Try: this once more
  4. Restart the Mac Normally
  5. Try: this once more

B. Single-Out this User:

Try a pre Administrator user, seeing if you do not get this occur while in it. If so, then it is an issue with the configuration of the current user. If not, then it is an issue with the entire Mac, in which case you should reinstall the macOS. See below...

C. Reinstall the macOS:

Nothing would be deleted. It's just that items that have become corrupted or deleted, would be replaced or reinstalled back to where they should be. Go Here: How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support.Important: Be certain to create a backup of your Mac prior to performing the reinstall. That way, you can have something to restore from the Mac from, should anything go wrong with the reinstall. Once reinstalled, try this once more, seeing if you still get this error.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 15, 2023 7:54 PM in response to freepalestine23

freepalestine23 Said:

"Touch bar not working with Microsoft Word or other softwares"

-------

Troubleshooting a Touch Bar in Apps:

A. Try Safe Mode:

While in Safe Mode, try using this browser. In Safe Mode, login items do not run, and corrupt system files(i.e. caches) are intentionally reset as a way to fix issues.

1. Boot: in to Safe Mode: [Hold Down: shift key upon boot].
  2. Log in: as same user
  3. Try: this once more
  4. Restart the Mac Normally
  5. Try: this once more

B. Single-Out this User:

Try a pre Administrator user, seeing if you do not get this occur while in it. If so, then it is an issue with the configuration of the current user. If not, then it is an issue with the entire Mac, in which case you should reinstall the macOS. See below...

C. Reinstall the macOS:

Nothing would be deleted. It's just that items that have become corrupted or deleted, would be replaced or reinstalled back to where they should be. Go Here: How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support.Important: Be certain to create a backup of your Mac prior to performing the reinstall. That way, you can have something to restore from the Mac from, should anything go wrong with the reinstall. Once reinstalled, try this once more, seeing if you still get this error.

Touch bar not working with Microsoft Word or other softwares

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.