You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirTag not being able to be shared to or from an iPhone XS Max running iOS 17

I want to set up an AirTag to live in my Sons bag, when i add it to my Find My account (iPhone 15) and try and share it to him (on his iPhone XS Max) it just sits there as Pending. But when i set up the AirTag on his Find My i dont even get the option to share at all.

[Edited by Moderator]

iPhone XS Max, iOS 17

Posted on Oct 17, 2023 12:48 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 17, 2023 1:02 AM

Are both you and your son indeed within the same Apple “Family Sharing” group ? (i.e. w/ the same Family Organizer)

[“Family” is not a “requirement” - just a question of as-yet unknown relevance]

Set up Family Sharing - Apple Support

Share an AirTag or other item in Find My on iPhone – Apple Support (AU)

Planned Obsolescence is doubtful … likely more of a new feature rollout technical challenge.

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 17, 2023 1:02 AM in response to StanSuede

Are both you and your son indeed within the same Apple “Family Sharing” group ? (i.e. w/ the same Family Organizer)

[“Family” is not a “requirement” - just a question of as-yet unknown relevance]

Set up Family Sharing - Apple Support

Share an AirTag or other item in Find My on iPhone – Apple Support (AU)

Planned Obsolescence is doubtful … likely more of a new feature rollout technical challenge.

Oct 17, 2023 2:03 AM in response to StanSuede

Undrstand your frustration.

FWIW, I just tested this feature w/o issue on similar hardware.

All devices are running iOS/iPadOS 17.0.3.

I shared 4x Airtags from my own AppleID (using a 14 Pro Max) …

… to a family member’s AppleID (using an Xs and and older (2017) iPad Pro)

Everything seemed to work as advertised.

FWIW (again of unknown relevance):

• The first tag shared caused a notification on the iPhone … from which the share was accepted.
  • The next three tags shared caused a notification on the iPad … from which the shares were accepted (why different 🤷🏼)

Lastly, “Acceptance” appeared to me to be from within the notification.

Suggest that you might swipe down to see if the “pending” shares are hiding inside older notifications.

Oct 17, 2023 1:10 AM in response to Chattanoogan

"new feature rollout technical challenge" I get this, but i would rather there be some guidance from Apple stating what can and can't work with their hardware. If they say "Airtags cannot be shared with certain phones" i will know that going into the purchase and it might change my mind.

Instead its "everything works on iOS 17" then only find out the true fact of it once i've spent £100 on a 4 pack.

Just incredibly frustrating.

AirTag not being able to be shared to or from an iPhone XS Max running iOS 17

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.