You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Continuing time machine back ups on new mac

I've just bought a new MacBook Pro and intend to use to transfer data using a Time Machine backup of my old Mac.

After doing this, will I need to start a new Time Machine backup or can I continue using the old one for backing up for the new MacBook?

Posted on Oct 17, 2023 7:40 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 17, 2023 8:24 AM

Yes, you would continue your backups, retaining old and adding new.

There is no inherent need to "start over" unless that is what you desire.

You can also ADD an additional backup drive at any time, and every-other backup goes to every-other drive. Each drive stands alone and does not depend on any other drive, and drives can be removed at any time.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 17, 2023 8:24 AM in response to Brij011

Yes, you would continue your backups, retaining old and adding new.

There is no inherent need to "start over" unless that is what you desire.

You can also ADD an additional backup drive at any time, and every-other backup goes to every-other drive. Each drive stands alone and does not depend on any other drive, and drives can be removed at any time.

Continuing time machine back ups on new mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.