You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I backup my iPad files (work) to Fedora Linux?

With my wife's outgoing Android tablet, I can plug it into my Fedora Linux computer and copy over her working files. She has here eyes on a new iPad. And she is creeped out by cloud backup. (As am I. I work with computer security which is why the Fedora Linux).

How do I backup her iPad files (work) to Fedora Linux? I have a virtual machine of Windows 11. But as far as I can tell, iTunes backs up to the cloud too.

iPad (9th generation)

Posted on Oct 21, 2023 5:43 PM

6 replies

Oct 22, 2023 3:08 AM in response to ToddAndMagro

iTunes for Windows creates a local backup on the hosting computer. An iTunes backup has no reliance upon iCloud.

iCloud backups are straightforward and reliable. Don't forget, your iCloud data and backups are encrypted.

This support page outlines the natively supported backup methods for iPad and iPhone:

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Native iOS/iPadOS backup and restore processes are dependent upon iCloud, or connection to either Windows PC (with iTunes for Windows installed) or a Mac (with iTunes or Finder - as appropriate for the installed version of macOS).

Natively supported methods offer full system backup - consisting of data and device settings.

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

It is possible to use a third-party App to backup data (but not device settings) to a variety of external storage options - including third-party Cloud services, external media devices, network storage and file shares (and is therefore platform agnostic). One App that comes readily to mind is FileBrowser Professional by Stratospherix:

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/filebrowser-professional/id854618029

You would be well advised to review the extensive online Manual and help files to determine suitability for your needs.

https://www.stratospherix.com/products/filebrowserprofessional/filebrowser-professional-user-guide.php

There is a learning curve, but it works.

Oct 22, 2023 3:56 PM in response to LotusPilot

Hi LotusPilot,

Although your answer was not what I asked, it contained a lot of otherwise useful information . I will copy it into my reference files on Apple. Thank you!

To address some the other issues raised, my Fedora machine is highly encrypted with open source software that has been gone over with a fine toothed comb by many others looking for exploits and back doors.

Cloud storage, you have to take others words for its security. iCloud and iTunes are not open source, so you have to take their word for it. There is too much money to be made and the temptation is to high to do data mining. This is not a risk we are willing to take: Apple or anyone else.

And since I can access and iPad with Fedora, I should be easily able to backup were text documents, which is really all she wants. Maybe her books marks too, if I can get at them. Her eMail is iMap and nothing private is done on it. (I posted how access with Linux twice now. The censors kill my first one.)

Thank you again for all the work effort you put in on the previous answer!

-T

How do I backup my iPad files (work) to Fedora Linux?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.