You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

have an Imac late 2013, was running El Capitan, upgraded to Catalina without doing anything about El Capitan. When I try to login, it accepts password and then goes into a endless loop. Tried first aid in utilites and tried to downld an older os .

Tried running 1St Aid from utilities and tried to reload Catalina and then tried to reload El Capitan but it won't offer any thing to help. Don't care about any data loss, just want to be able to use the computer again. Any ideas?

Yes I know I should have done more research before upgrading, had just hoped it would be ok. Also note I'm not tech. smart, just barely able to shop at Amazon and send emails so any suggestions need to be spelled out.

iMac 21.5″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Oct 21, 2023 6:18 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 21, 2023 8:17 PM

Connect the computer directly via ethernet to the modem.

It is entirely possible it lost track of the WiFi.

You can try command-R boot with a wired keyboard.

If command-R doesn't work, try command-shift-option-R. This latter method you can use Disk Utility to reformat HFS Extended GUID, and then it will install Mavericks or Yosemite. After installing Yosemite, if your intent is to get to Catalina, follow these directions:

Catalina - an upgrade guide - Apple Community

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 21, 2023 8:17 PM in response to 1senior

Connect the computer directly via ethernet to the modem.

It is entirely possible it lost track of the WiFi.

You can try command-R boot with a wired keyboard.

If command-R doesn't work, try command-shift-option-R. This latter method you can use Disk Utility to reformat HFS Extended GUID, and then it will install Mavericks or Yosemite. After installing Yosemite, if your intent is to get to Catalina, follow these directions:

Catalina - an upgrade guide - Apple Community

Oct 22, 2023 3:59 PM in response to a brody

It definately needed a wired keyboard, after getting to the disk utility I could not find how to bring up anything relating to HFS Extended GUID but did have three separate computer symbols showing Macintosh HD, another showing Macintosh HD-Data and one with MacOS Base System. I clicked on the Data and that showed it was a GUID partition so took a chance and deleted that one and then it allowed me to download Catalina again but did not allow me a choice of OS's. So did that and then it allowed me to go thru setting it up. And asked me to download either from a time machine or another computer so did that from a laptop and wonder or wonders it all works! Thank you all for your skills and taking the time to help those of us who are tech challenged.

FYI it was getting on Wi-Fi even tho when I put the password in to open up it would go to an endless loop with small rotating fan and even the spinning beach ball, works fine so far today. Thanks so much for your help.

Oct 22, 2023 8:30 PM in response to BDAqua

My Imac from 2013 had several problems including it refused and said it was not capable of moving on from El Capitan so I went into Backmarket and bought a 2019 Imac refurbished and am quite pleased with that. Thought I would try and get some use out of the other and that's when I ran into trouble. I do have a laptop from 2012 and the other Imac but the ones I described are what shows up on Disk Utility when you go to First Aid etc. Had already downlded and moved all important stuff to the newer Imac so had no problem with losing data if I erased wrong partition but it worked! Have no idea why it decided to let me downld Catalina but it worked and solved a lot of problems that were in El Capitan,

have an Imac late 2013, was running El Capitan, upgraded to Catalina without doing anything about El Capitan. When I try to login, it accepts password and then goes into a endless loop. Tried first aid in utilites and tried to downld an older os .

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.