You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time machine never completes backup

P. Phillips, I read your post with interest as I have been experiencing ™ backup issues since I recently upgraded to Ventura. My original ™ external drive had worked with no issues. I thought I might as well reformat it and start with a fresh ™ backup for Ventura. Same issue, days and days of backing up with no end in sight. I started backing up to a fresh drive I know had no problems. Same issue days and days of backing up with no end in sight. Looking at the new ™ backup drive has an unfamiliar look to the files. Seems like on a daily basis it is trying to back up my whole drive?? I have taken some screenshots to see if you might be able to provide me with some direction, if so I appreciate it.

Posted on Oct 23, 2023 10:00 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 24, 2023 6:17 AM

It looks like they are completed.

That is the new APFS Snapshot backup scheme.

A snapshot is made of the drive, then copied to the backup disk. That snapshot is reconciled with the snapshots on the backup disk. There isn't a top-level enclosing folder because the entire drive is the enclosing folder. The backup drive is only used for backing up a single Mac.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 24, 2023 6:17 AM in response to Tuco09

It looks like they are completed.

That is the new APFS Snapshot backup scheme.

A snapshot is made of the drive, then copied to the backup disk. That snapshot is reconciled with the snapshots on the backup disk. There isn't a top-level enclosing folder because the entire drive is the enclosing folder. The backup drive is only used for backing up a single Mac.

Time machine never completes backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.