You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cloning external drive with Time Machine backups (very basic question)

I'd like to clone an external drive used to backup multiple Macs (running Monterey if that makes a difference).

I have an empty external drive, newly formatted with an APFS filesystem. I've turned off automatic Time Machine backups on the source disk.

Do I drag and drop the individual Time Machine disk icons onto the new disk?

I'm already trying this. Looks like the disk image is copying, so the clone doesn't look like a Time Machine drive. Hmm.

Or is there a better way?

MacBook Pro 15″

Posted on Oct 25, 2023 3:28 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 25, 2023 4:04 PM

You really cannot move TM files to a new drive and then have it working again (or even clone a TM drive). You should always start a new TM backup on a new drive and keep the old one just in case it is needed.

Similar questions

3 replies

Oct 26, 2023 10:12 AM in response to Venona

What I do may or may not interest you. I have two external SSD backup disks. One is regularly backed up by my backup app Carbon Copy Cloner. The second disk is used for manually backing up - by me. It contains a copy of everything in my HD's desktop folder where all my files are located. Whenever I add a new file or change one, I immediately copy it to the second backup disk. That way I have double backup protection and everything is backed up to the minute.

Cloning external drive with Time Machine backups (very basic question)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.