You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

The new iPad mini is available today. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Split screen iPad and MacBook app while using airplay

Hello! I am a math teacher, and I would like to make a video for my students. I want to use Airplay to display my notes on the screen that I am taking on my iPad, but I want to split screen it with a calculator application that I have downloaded to my MacBook. It seems as though when I airplay my iPad to my MacBook, it takes up the entire screen and shows me no option to minimize it or make it smaller (or split screen it with another running app on my computer). Is there a way I can have my iPad airplay to one side of the computer, and I can open up an app on the other side? Thank you!!

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 14.0

Posted on Oct 26, 2023 7:29 AM

Similar questions

1 reply

Oct 27, 2023 9:30 AM in response to skuzma

Hello skuzma,

When using AirPlay, the device that you are using AirPlay to stream to essentially functions like a screen. So you wouldn't be able to display and run from the MacBook while casting content from the iPad. More info is found at Use AirPlay to stream video or mirror the screen of your iPhone - Apple Support, with the steps for iPhone and iPad being the same.

Take care!

Split screen iPad and MacBook app while using airplay

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.