You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac with Intel chip doesn't show Touch ID icon. Is this keyboard compatible with Intel iMac?

Bought new Touch ID Magic keyboard my hitherto iMac 21.5" late 2015 3.3 GHz Quad core Intel i7. iMac recognises & invokes the bluetooth keyboard. However, System preferences does not show a Touch ID icon. Therefore cannot open the next screen to register my fingerprint. Apple UK help desk got me (a( reboot (b) reboot safe mode © reinstall Monterey 12.7.1 (latest at time of writing) ..... but still no icon on System preference!

Meanwhile the Touch button does turn the screen on and off & keyboard works normally - but no fingerprint! Help

Is there an incompatibility between the new keyboard and old iMac?

Anyone else had this problem?

Anyone got a "fix" for it?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iMac 21.5″, macOS 12.7

Posted on Oct 27, 2023 6:37 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 27, 2023 6:55 AM

Right in the big print it says it is for Apple Silicon, only:

Similar questions

6 replies

Oct 27, 2023 2:35 PM in response to dialabrain

Thanks Dialabrain (Great name!). You came up with more help than Apple themselves. I suspect what you say is true but the apple help man said 2 things: Monterey should show the icon & Silicon is several iterations back from Monterey. I'm not happy to revert to Silicon as going back can cause unintended consequences . So for now I'm quite happy with my old wireless keyboard and especially my late 2015 iMac & I don't fancy the expense of buying a new iMac on the basis of the old American maxim "if it ain't broke don't fix it" ! Thanks again

Oct 28, 2023 4:30 AM in response to Keith Barkley

Thanks Keith. Annoying that Apple help (UK) yesterday didn't come up with that. Would have thought that even the receptionist could "triage" that! Great that saves me rushing out to get an up to date iMac! Time to reassess do I really need 'Touch ID" anyway. At the age of 80 i've got along without it so far. Thinking about it too, its a way of government and law enforcement obtaining much of the populations fingerprints before they commit a crime!

Regards

iMac with Intel chip doesn't show Touch ID icon. Is this keyboard compatible with Intel iMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.