You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone trade in was sent as gift card not as credit to my Apple Card as promised

I ordered and received my new iPhone 15 Pro Max and returned my iPhone 12 Pro Max in the trade in packaging as required. The trade in documentation says that the value of the trade in would be credited to my original payment method, which was an Apple Card credit card account, upon receipt. However, I received emails this morning that I had been issued an Apple Gift Card in the amount of the trade in.

The email says the Gift Card was emailed to me, but I didn't actually get the gift card email. I received two separate emails, one at 7:07am saying that they were processing my order for a gift card and lists me and my email as both the From and To addresses. Then a second email at 7:17am saying that my gift card has been sent and I should check with the recipient to make sure they received it. I am the recipient, and did not receive it.

When I log in to my order history, this order does not appear. I am just trying to understand what is happening with my trade in credit and where this money has gone/been sent.

I have no need for a $450+ Apple Gift Card, but I do need that to be credited to my Apple Card credit card as it was supposed to be in the first place.

The trade in was shipped back to them well within the required 14 day window, although Fedex Ground did take their sweet time delivering it. Is this normal for the Trade In process? I have done it in the past and it did not work like this.

iPhone 15 Pro Max

Posted on Oct 27, 2023 9:24 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 27, 2023 12:28 PM

Well, I decided to call in to Apple customer service. The excellent representative on the phone was just as confused by the whole thing as I was. Her records showed it was supposed to credit to the original payment method also, but somehow a gift card was generated. She conferred with her supervisor and then processed the refund request without any issue. As long as I get the credit in the next 5-7 days as suggested, all is well. But it is still such a strange situation.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 27, 2023 12:28 PM in response to pw1981

Well, I decided to call in to Apple customer service. The excellent representative on the phone was just as confused by the whole thing as I was. Her records showed it was supposed to credit to the original payment method also, but somehow a gift card was generated. She conferred with her supervisor and then processed the refund request without any issue. As long as I get the credit in the next 5-7 days as suggested, all is well. But it is still such a strange situation.

iPhone trade in was sent as gift card not as credit to my Apple Card as promised

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.