You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Downloads folder in one user account appears different without the blue folder icon

Hi all,

My user account was missing the downloads folder, so first I went to my home folder and dragged it over to the dock. The resulting folder had a different appearance than the usual blue folder with the downwards arrow. It as us you can see looks ugly with stacked appearance of the containing files.

So next I tried this command that I got from mac osx daily website still the same result.

terminal: defaults delete com.apple.dock; killall Dock

Now I am updating to the latest version of mac os x Sonoma I am currently on the previous iteration.

iMac (M1, 2021)

Posted on Oct 29, 2023 1:13 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 29, 2023 1:14 PM

Hey there!

If items exist in the Downloads folder, it will show a preview of the folder's contents. This is expected behavior. To see the blue folder icon, delete or move the items in the Downloads folder.

-Jack

4 replies

Downloads folder in one user account appears different without the blue folder icon

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.