You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Setup/upgrade new 2022 SE to IOS 17

I’m trying to set up and transfer everything from my husband's old 8 iPhone to a new SE 3rd gen. It is going fine until it tries to install the software update. There is no option to skip/not do this. It downloads the IOS 17 upgrade then gets stuck on this screen every time with the little loading wheel. It won’t let me tap ‘install now’. Since I can't bypass to just upgrade, I tried doing upgrade via our Mac, but since the phone will not stay "unlocked", the Mac can't complete the upgrade.

I figure I need to update new phone to IOS 17 and then do transfer from old phone to new, but can't. I am going to try to just skip the transfer Apps & Data, and get it upgraded and then go back and set it all up in transfer with Quick Start. Not sure if it will work so I am posting for helpful suggestions please. Been trying to get this dang phone transferred all weekend!

Thanks in advance for any help.

iPhone SE (3rd generation)

Posted on Oct 30, 2023 5:00 AM

2 replies

Dec 2, 2023 5:23 PM in response to Tamlouie

Yup thats what happened to me too. When I went to verizon to buy my iphone se 2022 I had ios 16.7 on my old phone which was the iphone 8 and they had to download the ios 17.1 for me to manually transfer from my icloud backup. Theres no way around it. You have to download the new ios in order to set it up from your icloud backup on your old phone.

Setup/upgrade new 2022 SE to IOS 17

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.