You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

service

I bought my macbook pro in July of this year, but my limited service warranty was valid until October 25th. do all macbooks have a 3-month warranty? or is it some kind of mistake?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 14.0

Posted on Oct 31, 2023 7:38 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 31, 2023 8:35 AM

The device was probably new, however, as has been explained, warranty starts the moment of purchase from Apple, not when you purchase it from an unknown reseller, nor when you turn it on.

As explained by Allan, if this reseller bought it form Apple several months ago, the warranty would have started at that point, not at the time they sold it to you, or at the time you turned it on the first time.

It being brand new and unused is not in contention. It very well may be brand new, in box and never used. This has, as mentioned no relation to the warranty's life span.

Warranty starts when it is sold by Apple, not when you buy it from some other reseller. Period.

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 31, 2023 8:35 AM in response to Roomikh

The device was probably new, however, as has been explained, warranty starts the moment of purchase from Apple, not when you purchase it from an unknown reseller, nor when you turn it on.

As explained by Allan, if this reseller bought it form Apple several months ago, the warranty would have started at that point, not at the time they sold it to you, or at the time you turned it on the first time.

It being brand new and unused is not in contention. It very well may be brand new, in box and never used. This has, as mentioned no relation to the warranty's life span.

Warranty starts when it is sold by Apple, not when you buy it from some other reseller. Period.

Oct 31, 2023 8:58 AM in response to Roomikh

Click Apple logo on the top left corner > on the drop down menu click About this Mac > Click More info.

How long your coverage is valid, you'd see in the About this Mac window. Through More Info, you can straight to the Apple Coverage page.

If you are in the EU, you have 2 years guarantee, whether you bought your Mac directly from Apple, or from a reseller, in a stationary shop, or from an online shop.

Apple's one year warranty is a volunteer warranty, given by Apple, maybe because in the US, there are no 1-year, 2 year obligatory seller guarantees as in the EU.

In the EU,

Apple Two (2) Year Limited Warranty

Oct 31, 2023 8:14 AM in response to Roomikh

Roomikh wrote:

but I was sold a macbook as a new device in a sealed box. does this mean that the seller deceived me and did not notify me?

As your fellow end users we cannot say for certain that you were deceived, but this is a common complaint we see here among users who buy "new" from "just any" reseller instead of directly from Apple or an Apple Authorized reseller. Is that what happened?

Remember, Apple are not international law enforcement. If someone outside the US wants to call themselves "authorized" when they are not, Apple have little or no power to stop that.

However, there appears to be an option to have Apple correct the purchase date if you have a dated purchase invoice or receipt. See this:

Correct a Purchase or Expiration Date

Oct 31, 2023 8:08 AM in response to Roomikh

Roomikh wrote:

but I was sold a macbook as a new device in a sealed box. does this mean that the seller deceived me and did not notify me?

Could be.

I could buy a new Mac today and the warranty would start today. I could put the Mac away, without opening it, then in 9 months I could sell the "new" Mac to you. Unfortunately I can not reinstate the warranty that has already been reduced by 9 months.

service

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.