You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using MacBook Air with Final Cut Pro

Is it acceptable to use an M2 MacBook Air for light Final Cut Pro work? I currently have an old 2013 MacBook Pro that I use to do some FCP work. Nothing super fancy, just edit some home movies, etc. I'm in the market for a new MacBook. I was told that the lack of a fan in the MBA may cause issues when working with a program like FCP. To be honest, I don't think my 2013 MBP has ever kicked on the fan while working in FCP. I know the new 14-inch M3 MBP is close in price (once I upgrade to 16GB RAM and 1TB SSD), but for the once-in-a-while FCP stuff, is it worth the extra money? I'm leaning towards the 16" MBA. I also know that the MBA and low-end MBP only support one external monitor. Let me know what you think,

MacBook Air (M2, 2023)

Posted on Nov 1, 2023 2:32 PM

Similar questions

15 replies

Nov 1, 2023 3:33 PM in response to Alfredo Jahn

M3 for longevity, M1 for just doing simple work. I opted for the M1 since neither M2 nor M3 are real-would that much faster. Yes, I work with folks who have those laptops, and exports from FCPX on all are about the same, there's no real-world difference.

I want to see independent bench marks on the M3, with it's slower RAM.

These M chips are making small, incremental improvements, not anything drastic. And my M1 has HDMI, edits TV shows lightning fast, I have no interest in anything until probably the M5 comes out and makes it an actual drastic upgrade.

Nov 1, 2023 5:18 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Definitely go with the 14” M3. Faster, more ports, HDMI, AV1, which no other Macs can do. Don’t even hesitate. I’m tempted, and I don’t even need a new computer.

I didn't realize that the MPP has an HDMI and SD slot (which I use to import video). I was just thinking that the 15" MBA might have more screen real estate than the 14" MBP, plus it is a little cheaper. My real question is "Is FCPX usable on the MBA". I already use it on my old 2013 Intel MBP. I assume the new M2 MBA is much more powerful than that! I didn't realize the M3 has support for AV1. Now that sounds like an important thing...

Nov 1, 2023 6:25 PM in response to Alfredo Jahn

One thing nobody seems to have mentioned is that the 14" MacBook Pros have XDR (Extreme Dynamic Range) screens, even the entry level model. These allow you to work in HDR. This is the future of video (and stills) editing. If you only upgrade your machine every 10 years or so then this is really worth considering. And working in HDR in Final Cut Pro is very simple now.

Nov 2, 2023 9:00 AM in response to Ian R. Brown

Do you need a laptop? The M2 Mac mini even if you throw in a third party 27" monitor, keyboard and mouse will only cost half as much and possibly have the edge in performance . . . it has a fan!

I wouldn't pay through the roof for a 1 TB SSD . . . you can get externals for £60.

Yeah, I really need a laptop. In the old days, I could swap out the SSD myself. Those days are gone. I realize I can get externals much cheaper, but having in built-in is much better. The last MacBook I bought was 10 years ago. So if I keep the next one that long, the extra $200 for the 1TB internal is worth it for me.

Using MacBook Air with Final Cut Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.