You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using Macbook as a second monitor

In this days I am working remotely from home and I would like to use my personal MacBook Air (M1, 2020, Ventura 13) as a second monitor for my working MacBook Air (M2, 2022, Ventura 13).

I have not found any clear explanation or tutorial over the internet, and I tried to use Screen Sharing (and it worked, but I was only able to share the exact same desktop while I would like to share a different desktop so that I can view different apps/pictures/texts on my two MacBooks).

Do you guys have any guidance? :D

Thanks!

Posted on Nov 2, 2023 2:47 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 2, 2023 5:21 AM

Neither of those MacBook Airs can act as a real hardware monitor, or as a Target Display Mode display, for another device.

If they are physically in the same place, they are new enough, and running recent enough versions of macOS, that you could set up either one of them to be an AirPlay receiver. The other MacBook Air could use the "receiver" as though it were an { Apple TV / HDTV }.

This is a "software" connection method, so I'm not sure what you might experience in the way of resolution limits, lags, or artifacts. On the other hand, you've already got the equipment, so it would cost nothing to play with it.

Set up your Mac to be an AirPlay Receiver - Apple Support

System requirements for Continuity features on Apple devices - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 2, 2023 5:21 AM in response to aleppersico

Neither of those MacBook Airs can act as a real hardware monitor, or as a Target Display Mode display, for another device.

If they are physically in the same place, they are new enough, and running recent enough versions of macOS, that you could set up either one of them to be an AirPlay receiver. The other MacBook Air could use the "receiver" as though it were an { Apple TV / HDTV }.

This is a "software" connection method, so I'm not sure what you might experience in the way of resolution limits, lags, or artifacts. On the other hand, you've already got the equipment, so it would cost nothing to play with it.

Set up your Mac to be an AirPlay Receiver - Apple Support

System requirements for Continuity features on Apple devices - Apple Support

Using Macbook as a second monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.