You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can not connect Sony headphones to Mac

I have Sony headphones WH-1000XM4 I have no issues connecting them with iPhone but I have an issues with airMacbook where laptop isn't picking it up this device at all what can be done ?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 13.0

Posted on Nov 5, 2023 7:42 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 5, 2023 8:04 AM

This shouldn't be a problem with those headphones.

First off, did you try pairing them as per Sony's user manual? Pairing WH-1000XM4

And did you review this Apple Support article on pairing bluetooth devices with a Mac? Connect a Bluetooth device with your Mac - Apple Support

Lastly...did you review this Apple Support article on things to check? If a Bluetooth headset doesn’t work with Mac - Apple Support

Hope this helps.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 5, 2023 8:04 AM in response to Karolinaaaa

This shouldn't be a problem with those headphones.

First off, did you try pairing them as per Sony's user manual? Pairing WH-1000XM4

And did you review this Apple Support article on pairing bluetooth devices with a Mac? Connect a Bluetooth device with your Mac - Apple Support

Lastly...did you review this Apple Support article on things to check? If a Bluetooth headset doesn’t work with Mac - Apple Support

Hope this helps.

Nov 5, 2023 8:46 AM in response to Karolinaaaa

Depending on the age of your WH-1000XM4 headphones, they do not ship with Bluetooth multi-point firmware and this needs to be updated using the Sony Headphones Connect Software for iOS. That also means that prior to that multi-point firmware update, you cannot concurrently pair your headphones to multiple devices, and you will need to unpair with the iPhone so that it is free to pair with your MacBook Air.

Once you have multi-point firmware support in the headphones, you still need that Sony Headphones Connect app to configure the multi-point connection and order to the iPhone and the MacBook Air. When done, and you power on the headphones, you will hear in succession: "Power on", the first Bluetooth connection, and then a third announcement about pairing to the secondary device.

I have the WH-1000XM4 and WF-1000XM4 devices and when I power on the WH device, it immediately connects to my M2 Mac mini Pro (Sonoma 14.1), and automatically becomes the sound output device when listening to a sound source. The WF-1000XM4 are dedicated to my iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17.1) while out for long walks with my Music library.

can not connect Sony headphones to Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.