You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to update or upgrade from Mac OS Monterey 12.4 on M1 Silicon Mac from 2021.

I get the same error message whether I download from the App Store or try reinstalling MacOS in rescue mode. "Failed to download required installer asset (SFR)". Sometimes I don't get this message until the installer has started installing the software which has downloaded to the hard drive.

MacBook Pro (2021)

Posted on Nov 5, 2023 9:15 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 5, 2023 10:30 AM

I've had better luck from the Safe Mode because I evidently have some 3rd party software that interferes with the downloading and installing so try the following:

#1 - boot into Safe Mode according to Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3-5 minutes as it's doing the following; 
• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed
• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)
• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically
• Disables user-installed fonts 
• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

#2 - go to the System/Software Update preference pane and begin the download.

#3 - run the installer from the Safe Mode.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 5, 2023 10:30 AM in response to zaraxan1

I've had better luck from the Safe Mode because I evidently have some 3rd party software that interferes with the downloading and installing so try the following:

#1 - boot into Safe Mode according to Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3-5 minutes as it's doing the following; 
• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed
• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)
• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically
• Disables user-installed fonts 
• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

#2 - go to the System/Software Update preference pane and begin the download.

#3 - run the installer from the Safe Mode.

Unable to update or upgrade from Mac OS Monterey 12.4 on M1 Silicon Mac from 2021.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.