You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot update MacBook Pro to macOS Sonoma

Hi everyone, hope you can help me. I tried multiple times to update my MacBook with Ventura 13.2.1 but each time I couldn't. First I tried with Sonoma 14.1.1, then to Ventura 16, but both updates failed. I even looked in this community and done it in safe mode, but same results. It downloads the necessary GB but then it says "Failed to prepare the software update. Please try again." I got this MacBook from my work, if that info helps.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 13.2

Posted on Nov 8, 2023 1:59 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 23, 2023 3:57 PM

That’s a hardware problem. For the past several years, Mac notebooks have had the memory soldered to the logic board. That means the only thing you can do is contact Apple for service. If you choose to have it repaired, they’ll replace the logic board. Since the storage is also soldered on, back up your Mac before taking/sending it in – everything will be gone when you get it back.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 23, 2023 3:57 PM in response to tomasjon

That’s a hardware problem. For the past several years, Mac notebooks have had the memory soldered to the logic board. That means the only thing you can do is contact Apple for service. If you choose to have it repaired, they’ll replace the logic board. Since the storage is also soldered on, back up your Mac before taking/sending it in – everything will be gone when you get it back.

Cannot update MacBook Pro to macOS Sonoma

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.