You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

The new iPad mini is available today. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can i turn off “Instant Hotspot” so my iPad stops draining the iPhone battery

I use my iPad as a backup navigation aid in flying a small plane - the battery is sufficient unless the iPad decides to surf the internet (updating apps and all the other stuff that apple devices do which uses a LOT of data in the background) via Instant Hotspot. I cant seem to stop it. I have turned off Wi-Fi, it does not stay off for more than a day etc. Any way do stop iPad from using the iPhone data connection?

iPad Air, iPadOS 16

Posted on Nov 9, 2023 9:58 AM

4 replies

Nov 9, 2023 10:43 AM in response to Uber REALTOR STEVE

Hello! Below you will find steps on how to prevent your iPad from automatically joining your iPhone's hotspot. Also, you will info on how to turn off auto update for apps from the app store.

1. open the settings app on your iPad
  2. open the wi-fi menu option
  3. when you scroll to the bottom of that section you will see a menu that when opened allows you to choose the behavior that your iPad takes when hotspots are nearby

How to manually update apps on your Apple device - Apple Support

I hope this information helps!

Nov 9, 2023 4:14 PM in response to Uber REALTOR STEVE

While airborne, you should enable Airplane mode on your iPhone (and other Cellular devices) - or completely disable the Cellular connection.

While airborne, due to altitude, cellular devices are able to simultaneously reach dozens (if not hundreds) of cellular network base-sites - which can cause havoc with the Cellular network. If your Cellular device is regularly detected causing such network interference, Cellular service may be suspended by the network operator(s).

In addition, also consider that your Cellular devices can interfere with your avionics/radio-navigation systems. Due to unavoidable close proximity and reduced shielding, GA Avionics are less tolerant of RF interference.

As for preventing your iPad automatically connecting to your iPhone's hotspot, a simple change to iPad settings will resolve the problem:

Settings > WiFi > Auto-Join Hotspot - change from Automatic to Never or Ask to Join.

Nov 10, 2023 8:46 AM in response to LotusPilot

LotusPilot wrote:

While airborne, due to altitude, cellular devices are able to simultaneously reach dozens (if not hundreds) of cellular network base-sites - which can cause havoc with the Cellular network. If your Cellular device is regularly detected causing such network interference, Cellular service may be suspended by the network operator(s).

A clarification. The phone can only connect to a cellular tower if the plane is at less than 10,000 feet. The bigger concern has been that the cellular radio in the phone might interfere with the cockpit's electronics.

Nov 10, 2023 9:00 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

IdrisSeabright wrote:

A clarification. The phone can only connect to a cellular tower if the plane is at less than 10,000 feet. The bigger concern has been that the cellular radio in the phone might interfere with the cockpit's electronics.

You perhaps refer to commercial airlines - and in this instance, use of portable electronics may be permitted when over 10,000ft. Cellular phones should always be turned off - or switched to airplane mode to disable the cellular radio.

The OP refers instead to GA - light aircraft.

Few GA Aircraft have a service ceiling of 10,000ft or greater. Interference with Aircraft avionics is always a consideration - it is recommended (and in many jurisdictions required) that portable radio transceivers of any type are turned off.

How can i turn off “Instant Hotspot” so my iPad stops draining the iPhone battery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.