You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sonoma Issue: Preview not saving edits to images

Hi, everyone!

I just updated to Sonoma overnight and this morning I've been working with a few images in Preview. When I resize them to 150x150 (pixels) (a smaller file size than the original), I get the response "This file cannot be saved."

I have been able to download and save files to my Downloads folder, so it's not locked.

I haven't attempted to make any other edits using Preview except Duplicate, which works. This issue (so far) seems to be only occurring after editing the image itself when saving.

TIA for any help or insights!

MacBook Pro (M1, 2020)

Posted on Nov 14, 2023 7:56 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 27, 2023 8:42 AM

I am having this issue as well, even though I have added Preview to System Settings/Privacy & Security/Full Disk Access and restarted both the application and the computer. If I try to crop a scanned JPEG in Preview I get the even though both Epson Scan 2 and Preview were added to System Settings/Privacy & Security/Full Disk Access before this JPEG file was created.this computer is of the following specs and configurationHaving to duplicate file to alter the file is not a solution or appropriate, nor is being forced into this one approach to data security an appropriate solution. I would like to know one or both of the following. How can I edit an image file in Preview without having to duplicate the file? How can I completely disable 'Full Disk Access' security? This type of feature is Orwellian, like the Ministry of Computing and Data is looking over my shoulder the entire time, and that I am not a truly consenting individual though the illusion of consent is offered in providing configuration.

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 27, 2023 8:42 AM in response to forest-wren

I am having this issue as well, even though I have added Preview to System Settings/Privacy & Security/Full Disk Access and restarted both the application and the computer. If I try to crop a scanned JPEG in Preview I get the even though both Epson Scan 2 and Preview were added to System Settings/Privacy & Security/Full Disk Access before this JPEG file was created.this computer is of the following specs and configurationHaving to duplicate file to alter the file is not a solution or appropriate, nor is being forced into this one approach to data security an appropriate solution. I would like to know one or both of the following. How can I edit an image file in Preview without having to duplicate the file? How can I completely disable 'Full Disk Access' security? This type of feature is Orwellian, like the Ministry of Computing and Data is looking over my shoulder the entire time, and that I am not a truly consenting individual though the illusion of consent is offered in providing configuration.

Jan 19, 2024 2:29 PM in response to forest-wren

I came across one workaround on Reddit that worked for me. Basically it appears to be the Color Profile of the image that is the cause of this. The workaround involves opening the image with the ColorSync Utility. At bottom left, there'll be pulldowns for "Match to Profile" and "None." Click the "None" one and select Display —> Apple RGB. Save the image file in ColorSync Utility. You can now edit the image using Preview. The poster also suggests creating a quick action using Automator if you need to do this on a regular basis.

Jan 25, 2024 2:07 AM in response to forest-wren

This seems to be due to the colour profile of the image.

If you change the Colour mode in Photoshop then save the file, preview is able to edit it once more.

If you change the profile using Colorsync Utility then save the file, preview is able to edit it once more.

As both those options are time consuming, the quickest way is to create a Quick Action in Automator.

To do this:

1) Open Automator

2) Create new Quick Action

3) Select Photos from the Library and then "Apple ColorSync Profile to images"

4) I chose not to both copying original files, as I will only perform the quick action on images that I have put in a folder to modify

5) In the Profile, choose Adobe RGB

6) Export the action and double click on the file to install it to you Quick Action menu.

7) Right click on the image you want to modify and choose the quick action with the name you gave it.

8) Hope that Apple fixes the issue with an update.

Nov 14, 2023 9:11 AM in response to forest-wren

forest-wren wrote:

Hi, everyone!

I just updated to Sonoma overnight and this morning I've been working with a few images in Preview. When I resize them to 150x150 (pixels) (a smaller file size than the original), I get the response "This file cannot be saved."

I have been able to download and save files to my Downloads folder, so it's not locked.

I haven't attempted to make any other edits using Preview except Duplicate, which works. This issue (so far) seems to be only occurring after editing the image itself when saving.

TIA for any help or insights!

I would do what works...

you can file a bug report /submit your Apple Feedback here: Product Feedback - Apple

To trouble shoot further you can:

—A SafeBoot Use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support will sort many anomalies

Does a quick disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, third party system modifications and system accelerations are disabled.

Login and test. Reboot as normal and test. Caches get rebuilt automatically.

This test will tell you if third party interference; most* extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode.

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account Change Users & Groups settings on Mac - Apple Support

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/VPN/Anti-Virus

all known to cause issues on the macOS

Sonoma Issue: Preview not saving edits to images

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.