You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

More Safari gibberish in a long line of Safari gibberish

After updating to Sonoma and Safari 17, certain websites can't display readable text. I have read similar descriptions that go back to 2004 with all manner of complicated solutions that don't seem to work in 2023. Here a screenshot from Strava's website:

I can select the gibberish and paste it into Text Edit and it's readable. Why only certain websites? Seems like any adjustments I make to my Mac couldn't possibly affect a problem that seems rooted in individual website's code, no?

-D

iMac 24″, macOS 14.0

Posted on Nov 17, 2023 10:53 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 17, 2023 11:10 AM

If you are running macOS 14.0 per the footer, update to current macOS, restart the Mac, and try again.

Restart through Safe Mode: Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support

If that does not clear this…

Do you have any Safari extensions installed? If so, disable and/or remove those, and test again.

Check the language and region settings, as well: Change Language & Region settings on Mac - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 17, 2023 11:10 AM in response to Dvanetc

If you are running macOS 14.0 per the footer, update to current macOS, restart the Mac, and try again.

Restart through Safe Mode: Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support

If that does not clear this…

Do you have any Safari extensions installed? If so, disable and/or remove those, and test again.

Check the language and region settings, as well: Change Language & Region settings on Mac - Apple Support

Nov 17, 2023 1:41 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

Yes, as I mentioned. Similar descriptions going back to 2004... but I use FontExplorer X to manage my fonts, not Font Book... so that didn't work. At any rate, Mr Hoffman suggested I update to Sonora OS 14.1.1 and that did the trick. (Shutting down extensions did not.) So I guess it was a bug in Sonora OS 14?

Thanks for your reply Tom.

-D

More Safari gibberish in a long line of Safari gibberish

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.