You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Garageband MIDI not working at all

I have a very specific problem that's been making using GarageBand impossible lately. I have a Yamaha DGX-660 electric keyboard plugged into my Mac through a USB type B cable, and up until about a week ago I was able to record MIDI just fine. Now, whenever I press a key on my Yamaha a note is recorded AND whenever I release a key a note is recorded. Then after a bit, no sound is recorded but GarageBand still shows what chord I'm playing (in the information box with the tempo). GarageBand is telling me 2 MIDI inputs are connected when there should only be one, but Audio MIDI setup says that my keyboard is the only MIDI source detected. I've tried changing all cables to between my keyboard and computer, rebooting my computer, uninstalling and reinstalling GarageBand, quitting all other apps with any sort of MIDI, and nothing has worked so far. Any help is appreciated!

MacBook Air

Posted on Nov 19, 2023 3:47 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 2, 2023 10:31 AM

I just got it working again: did most of the stuff on this thread and now it's working. I hope resetting the preferences doesn't screw me up later: If GarageBand isn't working on your Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

9 replies

Nov 24, 2023 7:04 AM in response to LegoPilot

I've ran into the same thing. Since the update November 6, 2023 when I use my guitar synth to MIDI interface creates signal though all the soft synths seem "off". When I hit a note "two" notes show and it's as if a sustain pedal is on. I've also checked cables and made sure things were properly plugged in. Nothing has changed except the update and I hope they get this fixed.

Nov 24, 2023 8:06 AM in response to LegoPilot

Just want to support and amplify this post. GB auto-upgraded to 10.4.9 on my Mac mini last night, and it is now completely broken - same behavior as LegoPilot mentions. Just purchased the mini (M2) 2-3 weeks ago and GB was working flawlessly with my Yamaha KX88 until today. Would really appreciate some help or a bug fix release from Apple.

Nov 24, 2023 7:15 PM in response to LegoPilot

Same thing here. GarageBand auto-updated a little while ago and my M-Audio Axiom 61 started playing notes on pushing and releasing a key.

I've downloaded a MIDI monitoring app where I could check what signals my laptop recieved, and the monitor app showed the correct note being pressed and released, and I've checked with an older version of GarageBand on one of my other laptops and it works perfectly there, so I'm reasonably sure it's not with the keyboard.

It'd be great to get a fix!

Garageband MIDI not working at all

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.