You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Time Capsule used only as backup for iMac vs Router and Backup

Hello, I’m hopping Bob Timmons or someone with as much experience reads this. No offense intended to anyone else and all help appreciated.

I have an AirPort Time Capsule which has been used for :

1) My Wifi router connected to a Spectrum modem via CAT5

• I originally set it up with a unique name R&R Time Capsule
  • I originally set up 2 wifi networks

2) My Time Machine backup for my iMac hard drive via wifi.

I recently had a fiber optic line installed with a ISP who provided a modem and Nokia IpV6 tower router. All of my Apple home and mobile devices, with the exception of the Airport Time Capsule have been switched over to the New Nokia tower and are functioning. I have a “Media closet” where my networking equipment is kept.

I understand that I’m living on borrowed time with my AirPort Time Capsule. However, I’d like to continue to it utilize via wifi until I purchase a suitable replacement as my iMac hard drive backup. While discussing other help issues with an Apple Sr support representative I mentioned this desire. He suggested that the easiest way to accomplish this and have my iMac still find it would be to connect it to the Nokia wifi router via Cat cable and keep it as part of my home Ethernet. I’ve connected a Linksys 5 - port switch to the Nokia router to provide additional LAN ports. The Nokia only comes with 1. I asked the Apple support sr rep if I needed to change anything in the setup of the Airport Time Capsule when connecting via cat cable to the Switch and thus the Nokia router so that my iMac could find it using the iMac’s wireless connection to the Nokia router. He suggested that no change was needed and my iMac would find it via wifi connection to the Nokia router.

This simple plug and use setup didn’t work. I’m not suggesting the Apple support rep was wrong but rather there’s probably some configuration I had made previously on the airport time capsule that prevented this easy plug and play. When I connected the airport time capsule to the Nokia router, the airport time capsule little light just continued to flash amber. I’ve began trying to troubleshoot and was led via a pop-up on the time capsule to change the router setting from DHCP/NAT to off bridge mode. I made this change and the AirPort Time Capsule light flashing amber became green.

To verify correct set up I wanted to initiate a Time Capsule backup of my iMac hard drive. Somehow in my less than skilled troubleshooting I removed the little Time Capsule icon which resided at the top bar of my iMac screen near the wifi, stage manager ,volume, etc icons. This is the only way I have knowledge of to start a backup.

I’m humbly requesting help in :

• 1) assuring that my AirPort Time Capsule is configured correctly so that my iMac can find it and utilize it efficiently
  • 2) returning the Time Machine icon to the top bar of my iMac screen so I can initiate a wireless backup to verify correct setup.
  • any other configuration changes on the AirPort Time Capsule I should make.

Thank You

AirPort Extreme

Posted on Nov 23, 2023 4:16 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 23, 2023 5:40 AM

• 1) assuring that my AirPort Time Capsule is configured correctly so that my iMac can find it and utilize it efficiently

The Bridge Mode setting is correct, but see my note at the bottom of this post.

• 2) returning the Time Machine icon to the top bar of my iMac screen so I can initiate a wireless backup to verify correct setup.

Click to open System Preferences.....(the "gear" 'icon on the dock)

Click on Time Machine

At the bottom of the window, enter a check mark in the box next to Show Time Machine in menu bar

Rather than changing to Bridge Mode "on the fly", which may work OK, it may be necessary to start over again with a complete new setup of the Time Capsule if there are other issues that appear. Here, I am assuming that you want to use the Wi-Fi provided by the new Nokia router, correct?

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 23, 2023 5:40 AM in response to Homenetworking

The Bridge Mode setting is correct, but see my note at the bottom of this post.

Click to open System Preferences.....(the "gear" 'icon on the dock)

Click on Time Machine

At the bottom of the window, enter a check mark in the box next to Show Time Machine in menu bar

Rather than changing to Bridge Mode "on the fly", which may work OK, it may be necessary to start over again with a complete new setup of the Time Capsule if there are other issues that appear. Here, I am assuming that you want to use the Wi-Fi provided by the new Nokia router, correct?

Nov 23, 2023 8:17 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Thank you Sir, You are correct on using the Nokia the wifi on the Nokia Router. Given the age of my Time Capsule and its potential longevity I thought the Nokia might be the best choice until I purchased my own upgraded router?

I did think about starting over with the time capsule and I am open to doing that. I thought that would be the cleanest way to go after this? However, I’ve had the Time Capsule so long and interacted with it so infrequently I can’t remember how to start from the factory settings. Also I can’t remember if when starting from the factory settings after plugging it in to AC will it guide me through the setup process and would I view that process somehow on my iMac?

Nov 23, 2023 9:19 AM in response to Homenetworking

If things are working the way that you want. then there is no need to start over again with a new complete set up of the Time Capsule.

It won't hurt if you want to start all over, but it also won't help. Post back if you need instructions.

Since you have changed the network to which the Time Capsule is connected, Time Machine might start over again with a new complete backup of the Mac and then move forward from there. No way to know in advance whether this might occur.

Airport Time Capsule used only as backup for iMac vs Router and Backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.