You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac M3 with two Thunderbolt 4

can i use two thunderbolt 4 usb c cable connected at same time, one is connected to magic track pad for charging another slot to use usc c cable to usb b to output audio signal to my machitosh amplifier dac listen to music?will it works at same time ?

iMac (M3, 2023)

Posted on Nov 23, 2023 7:21 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 24, 2023 11:04 AM

That should work.

A USB-C connector can provide different protocols and different cables, depending on the wiring behind the port, and the wiring in the cable. That can include USB 3 and USB 4 communications, and USB power delivery at various wattages, as well as Thunderbolt 3 and Thunderbolt 4.

Your Magic Trackpad is here using USB for its connection and for charging, not Thunderbolt. You could certainly use a USB-C Thunderbolt cable for that Magic Trackpad connection (as a Thunderbolt cable also passes USB), but there are less expensive cables available.

I don’t know what the DAC uses for its host connection; whether that uses Thunderbolt or USB. But you do have a port here that can support both. You will need the proper cable for that DAC. Check with the DAC vendor for cable details.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 24, 2023 11:04 AM in response to choo288

That should work.

A USB-C connector can provide different protocols and different cables, depending on the wiring behind the port, and the wiring in the cable. That can include USB 3 and USB 4 communications, and USB power delivery at various wattages, as well as Thunderbolt 3 and Thunderbolt 4.

Your Magic Trackpad is here using USB for its connection and for charging, not Thunderbolt. You could certainly use a USB-C Thunderbolt cable for that Magic Trackpad connection (as a Thunderbolt cable also passes USB), but there are less expensive cables available.

I don’t know what the DAC uses for its host connection; whether that uses Thunderbolt or USB. But you do have a port here that can support both. You will need the proper cable for that DAC. Check with the DAC vendor for cable details.

iMac M3 with two Thunderbolt 4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.