You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

usb a ports on mac studio conflict

Just got a new mac studio. If I plug one usb a into the back it works, if I plug 2 in they both stop working.

Mac Studio (2023)

Posted on Nov 29, 2023 2:07 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2023 4:28 PM

I had the same issue. The bus is getting overloaded. I had to remove one of my drives to a port on my Monitor to reduce the load. I had to try different drive positions as each drive did not draw the same amount of current. By removing one at a time I found the one that had the largest impact and that is the one I moved. I used all 4 TB ports and one USB port.

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 29, 2023 4:28 PM in response to dmw6455

I had the same issue. The bus is getting overloaded. I had to remove one of my drives to a port on my Monitor to reduce the load. I had to try different drive positions as each drive did not draw the same amount of current. By removing one at a time I found the one that had the largest impact and that is the one I moved. I used all 4 TB ports and one USB port.

Nov 29, 2023 2:25 PM in response to dmw6455

What USB devices are you plugging into those 2 USB ports?

Are you getting a message saying that the devices are drawing too much power?

Also note: the Thunderbolt/USB-C ports can be used for USB-A devices with USB-C to USB adapter(s).

USB-C to USB Adapter - Apple

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08Z768LCW/ref=sspa_dk_detail_1?

https://www.target.com/p/philips-usb-c-to-3-0-usb-a-female-adapter/-/A-79804275

Nov 29, 2023 2:39 PM in response to dmw6455

Sounds like the backup drive is drawing close to the maximum amount of power supplied by the ports and the other devices are pushing the ports over the limit.

Personally I would put the external backup drive on a Thunderbolt/USB-C port using a USB-C to USB adapter, then put the USB keyboard, Mouse, Hub and whatever else on the 2 USB ports.

usb a ports on mac studio conflict

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.