You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

icloud says no storage but there is storage

I have 8GB left of storage and it says I need more storage

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 3, 2023 5:36 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2023 9:08 PM

Hi AirForceVet59

welcome to the Apple (user-to-user) Community.

Re: icloud says no storage but there is storage: I have 8GB left of storage and it says I need more storage.

As iCloud is mainly for sync of data across computers and devices, both iCloud and a MacBook Air would need sufficient storage for what you want to keep stored.

What's the difference between device storage and iCloud storage? - Apple Support

Wondering if the 8Gb storage is in iCoud or on the Mac

Eg: A Mac needs to keep around 8Gb free in which to operate smoothly, and to use the Mac software for tasks.

You may need to : See used and available storage space on your Mac - Apple Support

and

How to: Check your iCloud storage on any device - Apple Support

If space is short in either, it is always wise to back-up all your existing data: eg: to an external storage device.

Then you can always retrieve / restore anything if needed.

Eg: Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support

or

How to: Connect and use other storage devices with Mac - Apple Support

and / or

How to: Archive or make copies of the information you store in iCloud - Apple Support

To free up more space on Mac, you can if you wish: Find and delete files on your Mac - Apple Support

or

If optimization isn't already in operation: macOS can help make more room on your Mac by optimising its storage.

When space is needed, it keeps files, photos and videos, Apple TV movies and shows, and email attachments in iCloud and makes them available on demand. Optimize storage space on your Mac - Apple Support

Else: If needed: Ways to manage your iCloud storage space: Manage your iCloud storage - Apple Support

All the best :-)

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 3, 2023 9:08 PM in response to AirForceVet59

Hi AirForceVet59

welcome to the Apple (user-to-user) Community.

Re: icloud says no storage but there is storage: I have 8GB left of storage and it says I need more storage.

As iCloud is mainly for sync of data across computers and devices, both iCloud and a MacBook Air would need sufficient storage for what you want to keep stored.

What's the difference between device storage and iCloud storage? - Apple Support

Wondering if the 8Gb storage is in iCoud or on the Mac

Eg: A Mac needs to keep around 8Gb free in which to operate smoothly, and to use the Mac software for tasks.

You may need to : See used and available storage space on your Mac - Apple Support

and

How to: Check your iCloud storage on any device - Apple Support

If space is short in either, it is always wise to back-up all your existing data: eg: to an external storage device.

Then you can always retrieve / restore anything if needed.

Eg: Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support

or

How to: Connect and use other storage devices with Mac - Apple Support

and / or

How to: Archive or make copies of the information you store in iCloud - Apple Support

To free up more space on Mac, you can if you wish: Find and delete files on your Mac - Apple Support

or

If optimization isn't already in operation: macOS can help make more room on your Mac by optimising its storage.

When space is needed, it keeps files, photos and videos, Apple TV movies and shows, and email attachments in iCloud and makes them available on demand. Optimize storage space on your Mac - Apple Support

Else: If needed: Ways to manage your iCloud storage space: Manage your iCloud storage - Apple Support

All the best :-)

icloud says no storage but there is storage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.