You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Did I damage the display coating on my MacBook Air ?

I cleaned my Mac display couple of times with the whoosh cleaner and the cloth. Today I just cleaned with a wet cloth.

did damage my screen coating or is just simply streaks from cleaning ?

Posted on Dec 3, 2023 1:58 PM

10 replies

Dec 3, 2023 2:13 PM in response to janik228

Hard to tell exactly from the screen shots. In one sense it does look like smudging, but that should be able to be wiped away with the clean dry cloth that came with your computer or other soft lint free cloth.

It also looks like there could be scratching if the cloth used was too abrasive.

Whoosh has received mixed reviews with some users claiming it caused smudging on the Mac.

For reference, here is the official Apple Support page on cleaning your screen.

Clean your Mac computer’s screen or display - Apple Support

Dec 3, 2023 2:24 PM in response to Mac Jim ID

Thank you for you quick response. So basically I'm really delicate when it comes to my apple products. So I doubt there scratches cause I would've noticed the scratching or anything like that on the screen and I used the cloth that came with the cleaner so no random cloths.

I did use a bit too much whoosh cleaner last time which caused the smudging, but cleaning with just a wet cloth didn't help it.

that's why I wanted to if the coating looks damaged, cause I cannot see anything while I'm actually using my MacBook

Dec 3, 2023 2:38 PM in response to janik228

If you still have the cloth that came with your MacBook, I would use that one instead. It may even be a good idea to purchase another one. Apple does sell the polishing cloth, but it is expensive. Since some whoosh users have said that it smudges the screen and your screen does look smudged, it may be worth the expense.

I'm sure your screen is fine and the coating is not damaged, since whoosh does not contain the harsh chemicals that would affect the coating. The smudging should go away with a dry lint free cloth, or the Polishing Cloth provided by Apple.

Dec 3, 2023 3:00 PM in response to janik228

They have been included for as long as I can remember and were always in a little box that included Apple Stickers. I have purchased 4 Mac computers in the last 10 years and they all had the little microfiber cloth, but cannot say for certain all models included it in every year.

The Polishing Cloth sold by Apple is $19 (US) and a lot more durable than the small microfiber cloth that was included. The Polishing Cloth is expensive and I understand balking at the price, but there is nothing better and it was designed for cleaning the Mac screen. You can try less expensive ones, but I would avoid any that have a cleaner already on them.

Dec 3, 2023 3:52 PM in response to Mac Jim ID

Im a total apple enthusiast but I did have my doubts about 25 euros for a cleaning cloth but I guess Im gonna end up buying.

This question might have been totally useless. But I wanted to make sure its just smudge, cause my friend had bad experience with his MacBook Pro 2016 as his coating got damaged within the first 2 months

Did I damage the display coating on my MacBook Air ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.