You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Private browsing (new private window) accessible despite screen time restrictions set to limit adult websites

Hi there,

I have noticed that after updating my iPad to iOS 17, there is now an option to open a new private window in safari by holding down the tabs button in the top right corner of the screen which I believe wasn’t there before. I have set my screen time restrictions to limit adult websites and yet I can still access this private window. I always thought that the screen time setting ‘limit adult websites’ prevented private browsing.

It’s important to note that the issue only occurs on my iPad and not my iPhone - the ‘new private window’ option is only available on my iPad and not my iPhone which makes me think that it may be a glitch or bug that needs to be fixed.

I would appreciate any help and advice to prevent this being visible or accessible. Ideally I would like a way to disable private browsing altogether including this ‘new private window’ option.

Posted on Dec 18, 2023 5:49 PM

3 replies

Jun 9, 2024 10:42 AM in response to armch33

I just did the following steps and it works. Hop it works for you and others. Within the section of the Limit Adult Websites area you are able to put in websites to Always Allow or Never Allow. I put in a site to never allow. Once I did and closed out of that area, Safari reset and then behaved as expected. Good luck.

Private browsing (new private window) accessible despite screen time restrictions set to limit adult websites

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.