You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Maps is taking up to 5 GB of iPhone storage

When I go to check my iPhone storage, Apple Maps is taking up to 5 GB of it. I don't have any offline maps. I tried uninstalling the app, but even after that, I still see the storage being taken up as "Maps Data"

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 12 Pro Max, iOS 16

Posted on Dec 30, 2023 3:26 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 23, 2024 6:34 AM

I have the exact same issue on my iPhone 12 (iOS 17.4) , Apple Maps is taking about 3GB+ and it keeps getting bigger whenever I free some storage… Consequently, my storage is full all the time, new messages and notifications won’t display sometimes and I have app crashes regularly.

I have a temporary fix for this I read from a topic here : Reset your iPhone (make sure to have a backup on iCloud) and it will fix it. But for my case the issue reoccurred after a few weeks… and I don’t have any permanent solution to this date.

Still hope it helped you

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 23, 2024 6:34 AM in response to iliaghp

I have the exact same issue on my iPhone 12 (iOS 17.4) , Apple Maps is taking about 3GB+ and it keeps getting bigger whenever I free some storage… Consequently, my storage is full all the time, new messages and notifications won’t display sometimes and I have app crashes regularly.

I have a temporary fix for this I read from a topic here : Reset your iPhone (make sure to have a backup on iCloud) and it will fix it. But for my case the issue reoccurred after a few weeks… and I don’t have any permanent solution to this date.

Still hope it helped you

Dec 30, 2023 3:30 AM in response to iliaghp

Do you have offline routes stored? Did you do this?....

Open the Maps app on your iPhone. Do one of the following: Touch and hold the map until a pin marker appears, then tap Download. Tap your picture or initials next to the search field, tap Offline Maps, tap Download New Map, then enter a location in the search field or tap Current Location.

Download offline Maps on iPhone - Apple Support (IN)

Apple Maps is taking up to 5 GB of iPhone storage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.