You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Share function not working on iPhone

I have lost the Share function on my iPhone (17.1.2). If I click the share button, I get the menu of options to share. None of them work. If I restart, they work once, then stop working. How do I fix this?

iPhone 13 mini

Posted on Dec 31, 2023 6:28 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 31, 2023 3:07 PM

Here's an update. After doing everything I could find recommended across the communities — removing WhatsApp, resetting network settings, resetting all settings — I called Apple support. The agent was able to confirm it was a problem, but not well understood. She suggested I first try to hard update my iPhone, and if that didn't work, then do a full restore. The full restore, of course, would require I completely rebuild my phone — I've got 11 pages of apps, so a total mess of time lost — and even then, there was no promise it would work.

I'm waiting till someone figures out what this problem is. But it has really crippled functionality...

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 31, 2023 3:07 PM in response to Lawrence Lessig

Here's an update. After doing everything I could find recommended across the communities — removing WhatsApp, resetting network settings, resetting all settings — I called Apple support. The agent was able to confirm it was a problem, but not well understood. She suggested I first try to hard update my iPhone, and if that didn't work, then do a full restore. The full restore, of course, would require I completely rebuild my phone — I've got 11 pages of apps, so a total mess of time lost — and even then, there was no promise it would work.

I'm waiting till someone figures out what this problem is. But it has really crippled functionality...

Jan 14, 2024 3:49 PM in response to Lawrence Lessig

Lawrence - thanks for posting the problem. Think I've got the same issue.

Tried to "Share" a photo from the iPhone to the computer but after pressing the little box with the up-arrow it turns faded and won't work.

Attached is a screen shot of the message on the phone that refers to iOS 17.2.1. (taken using the 'old iPhone', that still works, of the newer iPhone that has a problem).

Wasn't really paying attention when the message showed up... here is hardly ever a problem....HOWEVER, it appeared the phone was updated, but then again, maybe not. Based on the problem, probably not.

Share function not working on iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.