You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macOS Sonoma 14.1.2 has created Mail accounts to stop working

The Mail app on my MBP with Sonoma 14.1.2 has created an issue with my Gmail account and it no longer functions with the computer. I get requests for the password used for the Gmail account and I have put it in the box only to get the message "unable to verify address or password" and this keeps happening. I tried to change the password, but it doesn't seem to change anything.

I have gone to Google Mail to see it anything has changed at their end, but could not find any changes. When I go to google and select Mail, I can get all of my messages with no problems. It's just when I try to use Gmail in the Mail App on the Mac, it will not resolve the issue I'm having with Gmail.

My @iCloud/Mac/Me (which apparently are the same), account works fine. I would like to get back to using the Mail app that comes with this Mac, as it has many more features that using my mail account at the google site.

Can someone from the community please help?

MacBook Pro (2017 – 2020)

Posted on Jan 4, 2024 4:54 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 7, 2024 9:25 PM

As suggested in an earlier reply, I did update from Sonoma 14.1.2 to 14.2.1 today. I also deleted my Gmail account on my MBP, but as yet have not had any success to re-establish the account. I have gotten the following error message every time I attempt (six attempts so far) to add the Gmail account: "400. That's an error. The server cannot process the request because it is malformed. It should not be retried. That's all we know."

This is getting very frustrating.

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 7, 2024 9:25 PM in response to FredFoxCC

As suggested in an earlier reply, I did update from Sonoma 14.1.2 to 14.2.1 today. I also deleted my Gmail account on my MBP, but as yet have not had any success to re-establish the account. I have gotten the following error message every time I attempt (six attempts so far) to add the Gmail account: "400. That's an error. The server cannot process the request because it is malformed. It should not be retried. That's all we know."

This is getting very frustrating.

Jan 4, 2024 11:59 AM in response to 1parkpointer

1parkpointer wrote:

The Mail app on my MBP with Sonoma 14.1.2 has created an issue with my Gmail account and it no longer functions with the computer. I get requests for the password used for the Gmail account and I have put it in the box only to get the message "unable to verify address or password" and this keeps happening. I tried to change the password, but it doesn't seem to change anything.

I have gone to Google Mail to see it anything has changed at their end, but could not find any changes. When I go to google and select Mail, I can get all of my messages with no problems. It's just when I try to use Gmail in the Mail App on the Mac, it will not resolve the issue I'm having with Gmail.

My @iCloud/Mac/Me (which apparently are the same), account works fine. I would like to get back to using the Mail app that comes with this Mac, as it has many more features that using my mail account at the google site.

Can someone from the community please help?

if in doubt search the developers website or contact their: Support/Help/FAQ/Known issues/compatibility/updates…

Gmail Help

On the mac—

For problem accounts the go to way to sort things out is to delete the account(s) from the Mail.app, then add it back.

Remove email accounts in Mail on Mac

Remove email accounts in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Add email accounts in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Add email accounts in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Note—

IMAP accounts stay on the server, so no local loss, when you re-sync

POP accounts download and remove from the server—therefor save your inbox/sent box if you want them

“On My Mac" is just that, local folders you created and moved mail into. So no loss

Feb 8, 2024 6:21 AM in response to 1parkpointer

<< Can’t configure complex emails setups in Sonoma:>>

The issue appears to be Safari's "advanced tracking and fingerprinting protection". Go to Safari's Settings -> Advanced and uncheck "Use advanced tracking and fingerprinting protection".

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/255361223?answerId=260028169022&sortBy=oldest_first#260028169022

Thanks bosmacs!

Feb 8, 2024 3:28 AM in response to 1parkpointer

Same issue for me since yesterday with my gmail account. I've finished to delete my account on mail and tried to connect it again. It doesn't work. I've also tried to delete my google internet account on system preferences and tried again to create it but no way, even if I connect to my account on safari and click apply, it doesn't work. I'm getting mad...

I just did the update to Sonoma 14.3 and issue remains the same.

Jun 5, 2024 5:50 AM in response to 1parkpointer

I guess I am in the club. I can receive mail, but cannot send. I try to redo the account with the correct passwords and I am told my password or name are not correct. My two Hover accounts are not acting correctly. At the same time, my Google account is ok (I think Google has their own way of getting you on the internet).

I spent more than an hour with Hover support (very good service). After much poking around, I am certain that Hover is not the problems.

Next stop, I have Surfshark VPN. There was a thread concerning trouble sending email, but nothing more.

Next stop, which I'm going to today is with Eero.

My head hurts.

Jun 5, 2024 6:30 AM in response to pds6

your mail issue sounds more ordinary. if you do not use the "special setup' of yahoo, gmail, AOL and similar, then the safari setting is not applicable for setting up those.

Use of a VPN, except to be "present" on your institution's network, is not a good idea, causes MANY problems. Rather that protecting your data, it concentrates your data it for harvesting and hacking. You should not be running a VPN you installed yourself.

macOS Sonoma 14.1.2 has created Mail accounts to stop working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.