You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook sometimes not asking for login password

Hey there

Sometimes when I open my MacBook Pro it doesn't ask for my login password, instead going directly to whatever was open on it. This happens rarely (a couple of times a year) but seems like a security concern nevertheless. My settings are set to ask immediately and I am usually running the latest available version of macOS.

What could be the cause of this?

Kind regards

MacBook Pro 13″

Posted on Jan 6, 2024 5:17 AM

5 replies

Jan 8, 2024 5:47 PM in response to hububatyg

It is possible you never trigger sleep mode if you are just closing the lid of the laptop. This could possible be due to software never letting the Mac to sleep, or it may indicate a hardware issue with the sleep sensor or Lid Angle Sensor.

What is the exact model of your Mac and version of macOS? You can get this information by clicking the Apple menu and selecting "About This Mac". FYI, you should always provide this information when asking for assistance online.

How are you triggering the laptop to lock itself? Probably would be best to try clicking "Sleep" on the Apple menu, then trying to wake the laptop. If it asks for a password, then great, but if it does not, then repeat, but this time waiting a minute, two minutes, etc.

If you have an Intel Mac, then perform an SMC Reset and a PRAM Reset (hold the PRAM Reset for at least two chimes if possible). These resets are not available on an Apple Silicon Mac.

Jan 6, 2024 5:28 AM in response to hububatyg

Hi,

It could be possible that it's caused by the bug of macOS. Following processes could help your issue.

On your Mac, choose Apple menu > System Settings, then click Lock Screen in the sidebar. (You may need to scroll down.) Click the pop-up menu next to “Require password after screen saver begins or display is turned off,” then choose the time that passes before a password is required.

Jun 11, 2024 7:13 PM in response to hububatyg

yeah mine does this occasionally too, like tonight for example. so I found this thread ! I'm just going to start manually putting mine in sleep mode before closing it. I assume you know how to do that because you have a Mac (you go to the apple at the top left and choose sleep mode). silly we have to worry about this stuff but at least that is a solution if the MacBook isnt recogonizing the lid closing every now and then.

MacBook sometimes not asking for login password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.