You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to use personal hotspot on MacBook Pro

My work gave me a "new" (2018 MacBook pro) computer, and now I am unable to connect to the internet using my personal hotspot whenever I am away from home. My old (2017 MacBook air) did not have this issue. I have no IP address or router listed when trying to connect. My iPhone 11 and MacBook Pro are both updated and running the latest software. Help!

iPhone 11, iOS 17

Posted on Jan 23, 2024 1:28 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2024 4:14 AM

I had the same issue. Turned out a setting had randomly changed on my macbook (i.e. turned off IPv6) that meant it would connect to hotspot but not be able to access the internet as the mobile firm (which required IPv6 instead of IPv4)

**Before you start, make sure your Hotpot is turned on on your iphone and your macbook is connected to it. It’ll show the Wifi symbol with an exclamation mark (!) in it.**

Then:

1. Click on the Apple logo in top left and select System Settings
  2. Select Wifi in left hand menu 
  3. You’ll see your iPhone hotspot name. Click on the ‘Details’ button
  4. Select TCP/IP in the left hand menu
  5. Make sure that Configure IPv6 is set to automatically

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 26, 2024 4:14 AM in response to brianna_claypool

I had the same issue. Turned out a setting had randomly changed on my macbook (i.e. turned off IPv6) that meant it would connect to hotspot but not be able to access the internet as the mobile firm (which required IPv6 instead of IPv4)

**Before you start, make sure your Hotpot is turned on on your iphone and your macbook is connected to it. It’ll show the Wifi symbol with an exclamation mark (!) in it.**

Then:

1. Click on the Apple logo in top left and select System Settings
  2. Select Wifi in left hand menu 
  3. You’ll see your iPhone hotspot name. Click on the ‘Details’ button
  4. Select TCP/IP in the left hand menu
  5. Make sure that Configure IPv6 is set to automatically

Unable to use personal hotspot on MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.