You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Keep getting "stop playing on another device" popup even though I'm not playing music on any other device.

I keep getting this pop up message from the apple music app on my mac.

To play "Name of Song", stop playing on another device.

I get this message even though I'm not playing music on any other device.

This only started to happen after I updated all my devices to the latest OS.

I've checked my Apple ID and don't see any unrecognised devices and I don't share my Apple Music subscription with anyone.

MacOS: Sonoma 14.3

iOS: 17.3

iPadOS: 17.3

WatchOS: 10.3

HomePod: 17.3

Posted on Jan 26, 2024 5:53 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 26, 2024 12:30 AM

I just sub Apple Music, and I am facing this problem. Every single song keeps on popping up stop playing on another devices...

I don't have any other devices!

Gosh, I'm thinking of a refund and switch back to Spotify.

14 replies

Aug 17, 2024 1:00 AM in response to Anirog

I keep getting this message on my MacBook Air though I'm not playing on my phone, and I'm not trying to play any music on my Mac. Apple Music is idle in the background. It happens when the Mac wakes up from sleep. I might even get a bunch of these messages at the same time. And I was not playing any music when the Mac went to sleep. The Music app was on paus in the background.

Apr 12, 2024 12:28 AM in response to Anirog

What works for me:

• disconnect all airplay devices from the music app (HomePod, in my case)
  • restart the music app
  • play music
  • reconnect airplay devices

Somehow, the music app gets confused when in starts while airplay devices are connected. It's a nuisance, but I'm trying to remind myself to disconnect while I'm not playing music all the time.

May 26, 2024 1:38 AM in response to DJ-R

I managed to fix this by resetting my entire Apple Music.

macOS

1. Setting.
  2. Click your Apple Account.
  3. Click Media & Purchases.
  4. Click Manage... on Account.
  5. Login.
  6. Under the Account Setting, scroll all the way down where you see Reset.
  7. Warning, this will wipe all the downloaded songs, clean out uploaded songs.

I found out the matched songs are the cause of the problem; now I manually re-add songs from Apple Music cloud. None of them are giving me anymore problems.

Jul 7, 2024 4:34 AM in response to Anirog

I phoned Apple support, who took me through some steps, below is what we did:

1. Sign out of Apple Music and sign in again
  2. Create a new Apple Music library
  3. Boot into safe mode
  4. Create a new user account on my Mac

None of these fixed the issue for me, tech support then told me I would need to reinstall macOS 😡

This was something I'm not prepared to do at the moment, I have a lot of work on and setting up a new Mac is a real pain just to get Apple Music working.

So for the time being I cancelled my Apple Music subscription and signed up for Spotify.

I'm going to wait until macOS Sequoia comes out, then try Apple Music again.

Keep getting "stop playing on another device" popup even though I'm not playing music on any other device.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.