You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Mail on MacBook constantly unable to recognise Hotmail account name & password (and app-specific password)

As title says, my MacBook's Mail is now not recognising my Hotmail account which I have used in Apple products for 10+ years.

I have tried doing the below, which is the top recommended for this issue on the Community pages - in 2 different ways: by adding the app-specific password first and then closing Mail first then waiting 5 mins to open it again, by closing Mail then adding the app-specific password then closing for 5 mins and reopening.

Mail will work again and sync emails... but then it asks me for my password again?

While in Hotmail, Go To:

1. User Name(Top-Right)
  2. View account (Second Option Down)
  3. Security (third tap in from top-left)
  4. More security options (Far-Right)
  5. App passwords (Third Pane Down)
  6. Create a new app password
  7. Click Done
  8. Use that app-specific password in the Mail app on your MacBook Pro.

ALSO - I have gone to my Macbook's System Preferences, Internet Accounts, and changed the password there to the app-specific password to match what I've inserted in Mail. Still does not work.

Extra info:

Mail on my iPhone working normal as ever.

Have tried changing my password to see if that's the problem - Mail not accepting this either.

Hotmail working perfectly fine in browsers.

Have restarted my MacBook several times before/after inserting new password into Mail/System Preferences.

Have deleted my Hotmail account from Mail, then added it again. I'll add the app-specific email after I am adding the account again, it will sync up all of my Hotmail inbox, work for 5 minutes, and suddenly it'll ask me for my password again and stop syncing.

I am losing my wits trying to solve this - HELP!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 14.2

Posted on Jan 29, 2024 2:25 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2024 2:33 PM

deleting the actual Hotmail account on Mail App on my MacBook and setting it up again as an Exchange account worked out!!!

52 replies

Sep 12, 2024 6:30 AM in response to Alexxxcuba

I experienced the same issues on my phone iPad and MacBook since several weeks, now. I finally got a mail (12sept) from Microsoft that they are suspending third party mail mail apps without Microsoft’s modern authentication methods. It will end on 16th of this month.

It also tells me to upgrade to programs that use these new methods.

In the iPhone and iPad you can delete your “old” Hotmail mail account and when adding a new account you can choose an “outlook” mail account and provide your login data. After that everything works fine again.

On the MacBook (macOS BigSur) this option of making an “outlook” mail account is not offered and therefore not possible. It would be handy and correct if Apple fixes this problem, as they have done so in IOS.

Jul 18, 2024 2:59 PM in response to cherylogle

As I had stated in my prior message, I am only having issues with Apple Mail in macOS. Since then, I have removed the imap Outlook account setup and instead, I set up my Outlook account as MS Exchange. This has allowed me to overcome the repeated username/password issue. No additional authentication is required. Let's hope that the Sequoia Apple Mail will finally have an option for a real Outlook setup like the iOS Apple Mail which works perfectly fine.

Sep 29, 2024 3:23 PM in response to marielle36

Don't blame Apple for this. It's Microsoft's doing.

Microsoft deprecated Outlook/Hotmail support. This was announced in an email from Microsoft a few months ago.

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/outlook-blog/keeping-our-outlook-personal-email-users-safe-reinforcing-our/ba-p/4164184

Where they really dropped the ball (IMHO) is in lack of clarity over what users need to do.

In the case of using Mail.app, I believe need to re-add your account as an Exchange account, which supports the current authentication standards that hotmail lacks.

Oct 6, 2024 6:15 PM in response to marielle36

THE ANSWER, AS OTHERS HAVE MENTIONED.

• UPDATE LAPTOP TO SEQUOIA
  • GO TO YOUR "MAIL" APP AND DELETE YOUR HOTMAIL ACCOUNT. I GOOGLED HOW TO DO THIS. IT'S ONLY A COUPLE STEPS.
  • AFTER DELETING THE ACCOUNT, GO TO MAIL (at the top of the screen)>ADD ACCOUNT. YOU'LL BE GIVEN A LIST OF BROWSER APPS. BECAUSE MY EMAIL IS HOTMAIL, I CHOSE MICROSOFT EXCHANGE.
  • THEN YOU'LL LOG ONTO YOUR ACCOUNT AS THOUGH YOU ARE CHECKING YOUR EMAIL. YOUR MAIL ACCOUNT SHOULD UPDATE FULLY.

THIS WORKED FOR ME! HOPE IT WORKS FOR YOU!

Jul 18, 2024 2:09 PM in response to cherylogle

Hey - no, so the issue persisted.

Apple on the phone could not help (my MacBook somehow does not work in safe mode to restart apps), and Microsoft on the phone wasn’t much help either.

I did get an email from Microsoft (aka Live/Hotmail/Outlook) saying that it will end allowing their email services in third party mail applications (aka Apple’s Mail) in September 2024. So I think they’ve been sneakingly interrupting their services for Apple users.

What’s saved my sanity is caving into Microsoft and deleting my Apple Mail apps from my phone and MacBook and replacing it with Outlook.

It’s free, and works exactly like Mail.

Don’t fall into the subscription scam - it is FREE! You just have to make sure you log out from any pre-existing accounts (if you already have it downloaded on your devices), and log in with your Hotmail personal account.

My Mail now works like a dream! And outlook is much better at filtering spam emails. Let me know how you get on as these discussion boards weren’t of much help to me with this issue that I had for MONTHS!

Jul 18, 2024 1:32 PM in response to marielle36

Does that still work for you?

I had the issue and thought I should try enabling 2-factor with app specific password which worked up until I close the mail program. Upon reopen, immediately asked for password and won't connect.

I disabled 2-factor and deleted app passwords and it won't log in at all still.

This happens with Apple Mail app and my Outlook for Mac app.

Very frustrating...

I can log in using a browser via Outlook.com and my iPhone mail works like the OP stated but I can't use my computer apps at all.

Aug 24, 2024 2:11 AM in response to marielle36

Can anyone get reliable access to Hotmail from Mail on a Mac?

I echo the above reports, and have tried everything they have without success.

In summary: Mac Mail is very unreliable, essentially unworkable, on my iMac. Buy Mail works well to access Hotmail on my iPhone. iPad access to Hotmail is also troublesome and unreliable, rather less so that Mac Mail.

Access in my case includes Hotmail folders (which were not accessible tieing in via Exchange servers)

Mozilla Thundersbird solved getting access on the iMac, and that's what I rely on. Thunderbird seems to tie in instantaneously, including recognising the Hotmail folders.

Access via an Outlook App is fine. And via the web version.

Sep 3, 2024 9:50 PM in response to marielle36

I have been having the same problem for weeks now. Initially, I had to "take the mailbox online" for my hotmail account and it would sync. Then even that stopped working. I was just fiddling with my security settings in my Outlook account in a browser and noticed you can get an app password for devices that don't accept the 2 factor authentication process. I figured it was worth a shot, created a new app password and put that into the password space in Accounts..... under the Mail tab (NOT Preferences, I didn't change anything there) and lo and behold, my hotmail account synched. Whether it continues to do so, I don't know, but for now, I am delighted it worked!

Mail on MacBook constantly unable to recognise Hotmail account name & password (and app-specific password)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.