You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos app crashes when viewing and zooming in high resolution images on iOS 17

on lOS 17 my photos app will continuously crash when viewing and zooming in on high resolution images over 50mp or even when I convert iPhone photos to tiff, I don’t have this issue with any other device. I use high end camera equipment to take pictures and then upload them to my phone to show friends and family. This is frustrating as the photos app never used to do this on older lOS versions.

I'm using an iPhone 15 Pro max and not sure what I can do about this. Any information or tips would be appreciated.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Feb 7, 2024 2:42 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 28, 2024 10:51 AM

Hello All, idk if anyone has discovered, but work-around I found is simply to edit any large format photo - even one percent (for example: contrast) - and then the zoom issue resolves. Hope that helps!

9 replies

Feb 12, 2024 11:20 PM in response to Camqaz

Same issue here! I used to view my high resolution .TIFF photos on my iPhone XS Max without issue before iOS17.

Now the Photo app is crashing when I zoom into a high res .TIFF photo. I thought it was just because my phone is older now but it does the same on my girlfriend’s iPhone 15.

Any update to fix this anytime soon?

Feb 12, 2024 11:48 PM in response to Camqaz

My iPhone is also an iPhone Pro Max, but with a large storage, capacity 1TB,

I just tested with a new TIFF of 73.2 MB (converted from a RAW image taken with the iPhone) and it does not crash.

How much free storage is on your iPhone?

Just a hunch: How are you generating the TIFF files? Could it be, that the conversion might be adding an unsupported color sync profile? Incompatible color sync profiles added by third party apps are frequently the reason when Photos is crashing on TIFFs.

Jul 29, 2024 11:18 AM in response to léonie

I take a lot of photos with my DSLR & mirrorless camera. Imported as a TIFF for the least compressed versions, they almost always are 144MB, one picture I recently spent days trying to import into my phone (& finally succeeded today) was 288MB. With a 13, I can barely even look at it without the photos app crashing. Certainly seems to be an internal issue they need to address. It's been this way for quite some time.

Photos app crashes when viewing and zooming in high resolution images on iOS 17

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.